Jasco Paint and Epoxy Remover

Shell/Exterior Maintenance, Windows, Gaskets, Awnings, Vent Lids/Covers, Rockguards
uteqdoc

Jasco Paint and Epoxy Remover

Post by uteqdoc »

Does anyone know if Jasco Premium Paint and Epoxy Remover damages/removes the anodization? I am renovating my 75' 31 foot La Grande and need to remove the old roof coating. A heat gun and scraping doesn't touch it. I tried a test spot with Jasco stripper, covered it with aluminum foil (to keep it from drying out to quickly) and waited 20-30 minutes. The coating then came off very easily. However, now I am concerned that I could also be removing the anodization. I was not going to recoat roof. I was just going to seal the seams and rivets and cover with Eternabond tape. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Steve
1975 31' La Grande
Steve
1975 La Grande 31'
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: Jasco Paint and Epoxy Remover

Post by KYAvion »

Just curious what you learned about using this remover? Did it change the appearance of the aluminum?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
uteqdoc

Post by uteqdoc »

It did not change the appearance but where the coating was streaked it appeared the aluminum was oxidized. It took 3 applications and scraping with plastic scraper to remove. Then wipe down with mineral spirits followed by denatured alcohol.
Steve
1975 La Grande 31'
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Did it happen to improve the appearance of the oxidized areas at all?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
uteqdoc

Post by uteqdoc »

Nope. Did not. Looks like faint tan brush strokes. I am recoating top with a product called reRubber so I an not concerned.
Steve
1975 La Grande 31'