12V fans....

110 volt, 12 volt, Batteries, Converters and Inverters, Solar
wirelessguyny

12V fans....

Post by wirelessguyny »

I removed one of my original fans and tested it out.
It looks like the motor itself works (how well I can’t tell).

The switch (and resistor) seem quite dead.
Suggestions?....

A. Where can I find a replacement switch?
B. Should I just find a new 12V dan somewhere. If so, thoughts about good replacement options?

Thanks.
Attachments
DDAD49C6-2195-40B9-B671-17213D59F704.jpeg
RISK

Re: 12V fans....

Post by RISK »

I’m fairly certain I have an extra switch if you want.

Met a fellow Avioner out camping awhile back and he gave me a complete fan set up, my motor was bad. The motor is really hard to find, there is a saga on this site somewhere of what lengths I went to to find the right motor.
In the end, one fell into my lap.

Happy to share.

Ian
wirelessguyny wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:58 pm I removed one of my original fans and tested it out.
It looks like the motor itself works (how well I can’t tell).

The switch (and resistor) seem quite dead.
Suggestions?....

A. Where can I find a replacement switch?
B. Should I just find a new 12V dan somewhere. If so, thoughts about good replacement options?

Thanks.
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)
RISK

Post by RISK »

D2027EA1-96DC-4E43-A122-BB61F25A6902.jpeg
Here is the one I found for you.

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)
Overdrive

Post by Overdrive »

I’m getting ready to redo my fans by installing new ones so none of my old fan parts will be reused. I’ll have a write up on what needed to be done to bring the fans up to modern standards.the original fans were great for their day but these days they are more nostalgia imo than actual well functioning fans.
wirelessguyny

Post by wirelessguyny »

I agree. It will be interesting to see your write up. I've yet to reinstall the fans because I was going to work on the elevator mechanisms first. I really would like to see them open on both ends and not like newer one hinged trailer units.

The metal fans are cool and nostalgic but I think that a simple PC computer fan might be more powerful these days (and pretty cheap too).
Overdrive

Post by Overdrive »

i ended up doing the fan swap. Truthfully there isnt much of a write up
once you undo the screws of the original fan outer casing. Place a thin scraper or putty knife where the flange and the roof meet and then slowly pry up on the fan case. The whole piece will start loosening up as you slowly pry around the flange.
Once you pull the fans out cut the wires and tape them so they dont ground out
Clean the old sealant and youll see that the roof is already framed for the 14x14 fans. The only thing you need to cut is the corners where the factory has them as a radius cut you need to cut it as a 90* straight cut.
its really not hard to do. I basically layer the fan inner trim piece over the top of the roof and then drew a outline to the outside of that trip piece. Then i used a cutting wheel but it’s aluminum so a good pair of shears will work also. Cut small. You can always cut more but you cant but less. O it took a few tries to get the trim piece to slide in the square cut.
once thats done i used a roll of putty all the way around and them screwed in the fan motor. just go easy so you don’t strip the holes. i predirlled the holes a few sizes smaller and used brass screws. Then the whole flange was covered with Dycor sealant in a tube. The semi solid stuff.
On the inside i had to cut the trim piece to fit flush. Connect the wires and tuck them in the side.
Fans work great. i didnt get the high end ones that do they automatic opening. I got the basic manual ones but they work great. you can really feel the air moving.

As far as the parts of my old fans I still have them but really those fans were pretty awful. They didnt really work that great and unless you’re doing a nostalgia refurbish i woudl go with a newer style fan where its functional

I dont have a pic hosting that works well but ill see if I can take some pics and post them on here.