Another flooring question

Floor Repair, Inner Skins, Furnishings, Interior Finishes
silverloaf

Re: Another flooring question

Post by silverloaf »

Nice work and process.

Our sub-frame layout is completely different than yours, which explains the changeover after 1977.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Yippee Expeditions

Post by Yippee Expeditions »

Hello,
We have just added Evelyn a 28ft la grande to our family. She is in need of a floor repair in the front. There are some soft spots around the door and in the middle of the floor near the sofa. I am getting ready to tear the floor out carefully. I am hoping to do spot repairs and avoid ripping the entire front sub floor out. I have been watching videos and looking at as many pictures as I can find. I watched one video where the couple left the bolts in place and notched the new subfloor around them. Has anyone else tried this with success?
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

What year is your 28-footer?

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Yippee Expeditions

Evelyn is a 1973
Yippee Expeditions

She was in February of 1973. I took out the rotten floor yesterday. The frame is in really good shape. It looks like 4 leaks made this happen. There is hole in the roof where the ac is that drips. The door leaks, the refrigerator maybe leaked but the leaks that upsets me the most because it is easily fixed is the bottom front corner of the driver side window next to the kitchen window. This window leaked for a long time and rotted out the elevator bolt second back from the front. All of the other elevator bolts are good condition. I am hoping I can get away with notching out the floor around the elevator bolts.
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Elevator bolts were used to tie the floor, walls and frame together to provide structural support for the entire system. Notching around the elevator bolts means its free-floating from what's above above it and below. Yes, it might sound like a quick-and-dirty short-cut around doing it the right way.

What you don't see is the outboard rot where the floor meets the shell. Condensation and humidity play a significant rot role where metal meets lumber.

Good luck on your project. Just don't sell it to me.

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P