1st of many posts

Towing Rigs, Hitches, Weight Distribution, Sway Control
KansasJoe

Re: 1st of many posts

Post by KansasJoe »

I called a RV store today that sells Curt hitches and he said to order online and have it shipped to them. (It's only a few miles from my house).
I called another RV store and he said he can get me everything I need but I'm going have to drill the tongue of the camper when I get there to install the ?? for the sway control. He was very knowledgeable and wasn't leading me around but I really want to have everything in place to hook and go and I wasn't prepared to do any drilling. I was thinking the sway bars and equalizer is put into place by wrapping chains around the tongue. Maybe I'm way off.
Any ideas?
KansasJoe

Post by KansasJoe »

My bad, I just watched the video on Curt web page and I will have to drill 4 holes for the sway bar. Good video and helped to explain what I need.
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Glad you found what you needed.

Once you “know” all of this stuff it’s easy to forget that everyone was new at this at some point, and remember to take that into consideration when trying to explain it to someone else.

Don’t give up..... you’ll be a pro in no time (and will be enjoying the heck out of your Avion!!)
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
KansasJoe

Post by KansasJoe »

I found out today that from level ground to the top of the coupler is 22. The tires are 7.00 15lt and it does not have split rims
KansasJoe

Post by KansasJoe »

Just an update about the 61 Avion I was wanting to buy. I ended up not getting, someone else bought it before me. I did buy an Alaskan slide in camper. But my heart was set on the 61. So, I'm thinking if I could find another one, even if it needs fixing up, I'll sell my Alaskan and get the Avion. If anyone knows of one for sale, please post it!
Thanks for all the help, this is a great forum.
Joe
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Hi, Joe. Thanks for the update.

Good luck on your search for the ‘61 Avion.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Overdrive

Post by Overdrive »

KansasJoe wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:19 pm Hello,
My first post! I'm glad I found this place, thank the Lord for google! I have a couple of questions and hoping you all will be able to help me. I'm seriously thinking of buying a 1961 T-27. The owner says it weighs 3300 lbs. I have a 2011 1/2 ton Chevy Silverado 4 x 4. I don't think this truck will have any problems pulling the trailer if I buy it, but what kind of ball and hitch should I use? I'm thinking of getting sway bars too? Also, does anyone know how far down the ball should hang down for the trailer hitch? Anything else you can think of concerning this will be greatly appreciated. It's going to be a 6.5 hour drive getting the ol girl home if I should buy her.
Thanks so much,
Joe
The most common size is 2 inch for smaller trailers. The balls range from 1 7/8, 2 inch , 2 5/16 and 3 inch. On a 27 footer you’re probably running a 2 5/16 ball.

As far as height……the weight transfer hitch needs to be set up for the trailer it’s towing. It’s more than just hitching up and going.