Cupboard doors

Floor Repair, Inner Skins, Furnishings, Interior Finishes
66Avion18

Cupboard doors

Post by 66Avion18 »

Several of my cupboard doors are showing their age. Actually all of them are but a few have veneer splitting and lifting. I took two of the worst off and gently removed the veneer with a heat gun - I was surprised how easily the veneer came off, and for the most part, in one piece. Now I'm contemplating what to do next. My gut says sand the door and apply a new finish and not bother putting new veneer on the doors. The grain of the door and the veneer is quite close so I doubt whether we would notice (or care). Has anyone else tried doin this?

The image shows the door with the veneer that I removed just above it.

Kevin
Attachments
cupboard.jpg
66Avion18

Re: Cupboard doors

Post by 66Avion18 »

So, based on the fact that no one has replied to my query, can I assume that everyone that has refinished cupboard doors has replaced the old cracked veneer with new stuff or replaced the entire doors? Am I correct?

Kevin
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Kevin-

The trailer group seems to go into hibernation after Halloween. There has been little activity here since then.

If you can get the base surface smooth, I would attempt replacing the veneer. Its a lot cheaper than replacing the entire door. Try doing one door to see if you like the outcome.

The base surface needs to be sanded smooth first. I found spray adhesive gives the most uniform results on both door and veneer. Check out https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-17-6-oz- ... /100151277.

Once the veneer is installed, some trimming with a utility knife might be necessary.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
66Avion18

Post by 66Avion18 »

Thanks.

Kevin
Salty

Post by Salty »

Sorry to be late to the party. This thread may be of use to youviewtopic.php?f=10&t=1546
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.