Axle failure rate

Axles and Suspension Systems, Brakes, Brake Controllers, Wheels, Tires
Nelsonpharmd

Axle failure rate

Post by Nelsonpharmd »

Finally back at working on our 30p after 6 months away. Wondering how many folks have actually ha a catastrophic failure of their stub axles. I know Paul Brodale posted about his snapping clean off, but for the rest of you out there, have you ever had one break, or does that worry even cross your mind? Ours are pretty rusty and debating dressing them up versus just swapping them out for a pair of new straight drop axles from Dexter. I know I'll sacrifice the independent suspension, but wondering how much my peace of mind is worth :(
silverloaf

Re: Axle failure rate

Post by silverloaf »

Don’t throw the baby out with the bath water. What is the causal factor behind the failure??
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Nelsonpharmd

Post by Nelsonpharmd »

Bob, I haven't experienced a failure yet and in fact I'm at the stage where I've got the four axles off and am cleaning them up. The thought just crossed my mind since I noticed how rusty they were and how difficult it would be to get another set. I've heard of at least one person adding straight axles. Obviously I'd prefer to keep the stub axles to keep the ride as smooth as possible.
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Yes, I had the same thoughts as you. Mine were very rusty and pitted like yours. After clean-up, I applied solvent-base rusty metal primer followed by a top coat in black. The spindles looked good.

My biggest challenge was replacing the rubber bushings at the inner end. I was able to determine the ones Avion used were designed for the lower control arm of a late-50s full-size Ford. I found some on-line and had local repair shop swap them out. The old ones were very difficult to press out because the bushing's carrier was fused to the casting with rust.

I suppose a straight axle would be my go-to strategy if one failed. But I restored/upgrade/replaced the entire suspension and brake assemblies to like-new condition. I'm 74 and the trailer is 33. I expect the systems to outlive me!

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Nelsonpharmd

Post by Nelsonpharmd »

Thanks Bob! Renew them it is! Once I get them cleaned up I need to find a shop to press in those new bushings. Found them locally luckily, and ended up buying 8 just to have an extra set LOL. I'll keep posting pics of the rehab now that I'm back on the swing of things. Did you end up reusing the same sprongt levelers or did you go with one of those new rubber attenuating type like the mor-ryde cre 3000?
Salty

Post by Salty »

I had axles off a year ago and had them bead blasted. While doing so, I discovered the axles were not original, but were updated. This was evidenced by the tags on the axles that stated they were rated for 5250 LBs. Originally the axles were 3940 I believe.
Long story short, the axles cleaned up nice, I put an etching primer under an epoxy coat, changed the bushings and haven't looked back.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Nelsonpharmd

Post by Nelsonpharmd »

Thanks Salty! You took them into a shop for the bushings right? I was debating modify my log splitter to use it as a hydraulic press and try to press them out but my guts says to take them in LOL
Salty

Post by Salty »

The same folks that bead blasted my axles pressed out/in the bushings.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

I only replaced one spring on the right side. All others were in spec.
There is a post dated 9/25 that has all the part numbers for rebuilding the suspension and axle assemblies.

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P