AC question

Water Heaters, Furnaces, Air Conditioners, Refrigerators, Ranges
knotg

AC question

Post by knotg »

Hey all, newbie here. I don't know much of anything about electrical systems or trailers, but I just scored a '76 26 footer with not much in it. Allegedly all the systems work, it wasn't used very much or moved for the last 20 years, and I am just starting to test all of them as the price was good enough that it didn't matter. I finally got the thing plugged in, and the AC fired up right away. The cooling seems to work just fine, but when I turn the knob off it stays on. Does anyone have recommendations on where to start looking for issues?

Thanks!
silverloaf

Re: AC question

Post by silverloaf »

From my experience, I would be looking at the switch. A good start is to remove the switch while leaving it connected. Use a test light or voltmeter to determine which wire is the 12v supply. Then locate the wire which corresponds to the a/c switch. Disconnect the wire and verify the a/c stops working.

Reconnect it and determine that the a/v is still seeing power. If yes, the switch is the culprit. If not, something is intermittent in the switch.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
knotg

Re: AC question

Post by knotg »

Thank you for the help! That was exactly the kind of response I was hoping for. I'll give it a go hopefully today or tomorrow!