Timeframe for repacking bearings

A general discussion forum
KYAvion
Site Admin

Timeframe for repacking bearings

Post by KYAvion »

I greased the Avion’s bearing right at two years ago. I pulled the trailer on three short trips during the 15 months after I repacked them, and the trailer has sat for the remaining 9 months. I’ve got a short trip coming up (less than 5 hours towing one way), but I am really pressed for time right now. I know “they” say to repacked every 12 months, but I don’t really see the grease drying up or the seals dry rotting in such a short timeframe. Thoughts? Where’s this 12 month rule come from anyway?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Salty

Re: Timeframe for repacking bearings

Post by Salty »

KYAvion wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:38 pm Where’s this 12 month rule come from anyway?
Likely from the same place that says change the oil on your car every 3 months/2/3/5K miles.
I would think it would depend on the grease you used(Mobile 1, Lithium, ...) I would have to say there have been advances in lubricants in the last 30+years.
On the other hand, 5 hours of driving is what , 200 miles?
Some food for thought. Any grease coming out from behind the seals? If you pop the spindle covers, is the grease discolored?
Bottom line, if you're concerned enough to ask in the forum, odds are you may want to spot check them, if for nothing else, the peace of mind.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: Timeframe for repacking bearings

Post by KYAvion »

Those are good points. I’m not really that concerned about it, but thought I’d ask in case there might be something I was missing. Ordinarily I repacked them yearly, and each time they look good as new. I was just wondering about others experience, particularly those who tow relatively infrequently.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R