Vent Lid - 87 34V - Making from Fiberglass

Shell/Exterior Maintenance, Windows, Gaskets, Awnings, Vent Lids/Covers, Rockguards
jack.bayes

Vent Lid - 87 34V - Making from Fiberglass

Post by jack.bayes »

To All:

So about a month ago purchased a 1987 34V with TWO missing lids. Well, just so happened that a tech that I found on Craigslist in Mobile had ONE that was the perfect size he sold to me for $50 (including hardware!)

As I detailed in my opening post (Introductions) I was going to show the process of how I've got to have a lid made. My stepfather has been a Corvette buff since the '60's (he actually owned a 63 split...) and he's used fiberglass for ages! Since I now have a lid, we made a plaster mold of the inside so he can have the 'form' for shaping the fiberglass for a new lid.

As for the hardware, I'm missing them on one of my vents. Since we have the parts from the one we're building the mold, it'll be easy to get some metal and make it work.

As this process has just started this past weekend, I'm posting the pics that I have. When he made the mold with plaster, he had to use boards to 'fill' out some space to get it to the proper height. As you know, prices on everything is going UP, plaster is about $9/box and needed 3 to get it filled. Fiberglass cloth is $8/package x3; $17 for Resin, so already at $68 in 'parts' and we haven't gotten to getting the metal for the hardware!

But, when you can't find them. I could easily see that the price to build for someone (including lift hardware) could be $200 EACH because of the time because of sanding and such that's to follow.

I have two big holes in the roof rendering my unit USELESS until they're covered. :)

Starting we took a angle grinder with wire brush to get it smooth.

So the process was to line the lid with saran wrap and put a light coat of water. However, think it would have been better to use cooking spray for better release after it sets.

MIXING IS A SERIOUS ISSUE!!! I just can't stress this enough...HAVE A DRILL AND MIXER. Don't try this by hand! OMG you're going to find out like we did...we made a big mistake trying to mix by hand. You're NOT going to get it uniform...it sticks to every freaking thing in the bucket and clumps like crazy!

I was trying to mix and it was a losing fight as it was getting rougher by the second! He had a drill and paint mixer close by. When we got the speed it got nice and smooth making it easy to pour and set.

Ok, pour into lid and fill extra space with boards. This works and doesn't work. When removed the plaster from the lid it broke cleanly against the board. He's going to glue it back on so not a big issue.

Now, I don't know if he's going to continue on it this week but if he does I won't have pics of the process. But if not, then I'll try to remember up to the finished product.

More in a short bit...
Attachments
20210403_140819.jpg
20210403_140811.jpg
20210403_140824.jpg
20210403_140828.jpg
20210403_194610.jpg
20210403_194613.jpg
20210403_200442.jpg
Jack Bayes, MT(AMT),CLS,BS...'cptriker1'...
MS Gulf Coast...1987 Avion 34V (twin bed/rear bathroom)
Why did I get this Avion? Spend time in a 2018 Rockwood Mini-Lite!!! 8-)
Razorback

Re: Vent Lid - 87 34V - Making from Fiberglass

Post by Razorback »

Wow!!! What a project! Now I understand why those lids are so hard to find.... nobody wants to make them!!

My hat's off to you!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
jack.bayes

Post by jack.bayes »

Well, yeah. These things was made by a metal press which is fast and efficient in the process. I wanted to make a wood mold and get some metal, torch, and a hammer and 'shape' to the needed size/dimensions. We discussed it and fiberglass will do the job. Who knows, might give it a try one day just for poops and giggles.

But, it's VERY easy to see that given supplies and time this would be a $200 each to custom build. HOWEVER, you think about not having to 'cut' to fit a modern lid. We all know there's MORE expensive items for RV's. Heck, was talking about getting a water heater for my unit and was looking at $2,000 in total cost and expenditures!

I'm also thinking that I could also take someone's lid, make a mold, and still make another lid if they've lost one. I've got some ideals I'm thinking about concerning these problems and I know some people with fabrication experience that I can ask which direction to go. But, right now, we're in the learning phase.

This kinda crap results because no one will just say, "hey, let's standardize this part and we can all save $$$."
jeff

Post by jeff »

I just ordered a couple aluminum square cake pans - 18x18x2 to see if they will replace the ones I have that have cracked. If they don't fit....THEN WE EAT CAKE - it's a win:win.

https://merchantsbakerysupplies.com/pro ... -x-18-x-2/

After shipping they're $40 each, but still reasonable IMHO. Will report back how easy they are to install on the original mounting bracket hardware.
1980 Avion 34W
1983 Avion 34V
1958 Spartan Manor
1969 Barth Continental
jack.bayes

Post by jack.bayes »

Omg!I am sitting at my job laughing my a$$ off!!!!!!

It can't be that simple! But that will work!
jack.bayes

Post by jack.bayes »

I'm still stunned over the SIMPLICITY of the baking pan. One thing about it, it'll never get hot enough to hurt it!!!

Jeff, after I read your post I called my stepfather. He told me he had been working on the fiberglass mold and it broke into so many pieces he had just chunked it in the trash. When I told him, he was as stunned as I was!

I'm in the process of ordering a pan off of amazon and I'm going to use the lid I have to mark the hardware locations. This will work. This is STUPID simple to say the least!!! I just can't get over this...the solution was right there all along!!!

I'll post pics as well.
jack.bayes

Post by jack.bayes »

So I decided that from the measurement on the original vent (1-1/8" deep) to go with this:

American Metalcraft SQ1610-16” x 16” Square Pizza Pan (1" deep)

Found on Amazon. After taxes $32.

I didn't want to go with 2" as we don't have measurements on the top to make sure it'd close correctly. But, right now, we'll be able to compare the results from Jeff and mine for everyone to use.

I did find a metal fabricator that would make one for me (at least $100) but going this way will work. And for this price...sheez this is a CHEAP FIX!!!
jeff

Post by jeff »

Great stuff, glad to hear this is a good solution for you too.

My backup plan was to find a water heater floor pan, but those are galvanized. I like the cake pan option a lot more. Looking forward to seeing the results on both of these!!!
1980 Avion 34W
1983 Avion 34V
1958 Spartan Manor
1969 Barth Continental
jack.bayes

Post by jack.bayes »

Update: 06/25/2021

After MUCH time has passed I am PLEASED to let you know that the use of the 16x16x2" pizza pan was a total success!!!

After all this time, I have FINALLY installed all the lids and new gaskets. I had an original lid with hardware that went on the front vent given wind from driving. The middle vent was already a complete assembly but needed new gasket. The bathroom had the hardware but no vent cover which was the one for the install of the pizza pan.

Let me say, it worked wonderfully!!!

Using the 'old' lid as a guide for the hole patterns worked great. Although nothing was perfect, it took time for me to get the holes the correct size for the rivets. After the brackets was attached, I had to use JB Weld to seal the holes to prevent leaks. By using the old lid, the hole patterns matched when alignment for the hardware. 90% alcohol was used to prep the surface for the gasket and used a scraper to remove any residue.

Gasket Used (18ft):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08KZ ... UTF8&psc=1

Pizza Pan:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BU ... UTF8&psc=1
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

I love people's ingenuity! Great post!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???