Help with Door and Lock Repair

Shell/Exterior Maintenance, Windows, Gaskets, Awnings, Vent Lids/Covers, Rockguards
greetle

Help with Door and Lock Repair

Post by greetle »

Sadly, the terrible, rough roads and construction of NM made me victim of the Avion door damage, causing it to swing open. Looks similar to this https://thepewterpalace.com/2020/07/23/ ... nt-page-1/

Unsure exactly what happened but the interior door handle is gone now. I have the exterior with the internals. Looking at it though, there are a couple of issues.

1- From pics, I have a Bargman L200 (appears a 100 is the same). I need a replacement now, what options are there? Are there any newer locks that would fit without going with a used Bargman or NOS? As you know these are quite pricey. Has anyone retrofitted a L400 ?

2- There is a standalone deadbolt on the trailer side adjacent to the door, similar to the one linked in the above. I am going to get the longer 5" throw and lock from Schlage. However, there is damage to the door itself on the side/edge where the bolt goes in. How have people repaired this damage?
Salty

Re: Help with Door and Lock Repair

Post by Salty »

Sorry for the late response and sad that this happened to you. Pics of your door would be useful. there are a couple of solutions.
The obvious one is replace the door. Tough to find, expensive at the least.
Another more plausible option is to find an automotive shop that does custom body work. Some place that has an English Wheel in their tool inventory. They will disassemble the door and roll it back to shape. This won't be cheap either, but it's going to be easier to repair the door.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
greetle

Re: Help with Door and Lock Repair

Post by greetle »

Good ideas. For now, a 2x4 was my friend and it's closing at least. I will post some pics. I do plan on taking this to my local fab shop to see what magic they can do, they are the ones who really beefed up my frame. Had I not done that, I suspect the damage would have been much worse due to the roads.

I did find a fella on airforums who cleaned and sold me an interior handle. He also said I had the early style lock with the rivet and it was half worn down and could break at any time, so he updated it by drilling and tapping it, then put a bolt in. This will last much longer now. I just got it back today and installed it, works great work and his price was very fair. His name there is montanablue. If you need Bargman work or parts, he''s a great resource vs the $450-500 locks on the auction site. Communication was excellent.