Zip Dee awning

Shell/Exterior Maintenance, Windows, Gaskets, Awnings, Vent Lids/Covers, Rockguards
Jtholland757@att.net

Re: Zip Dee awning

Post by Jtholland757@att.net »

That’s exactly what I needed to know, and thanks again.
1986 Avion 34w Silver Edition; Unit 123 of 200
2022 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 2500HD Z71 4WD
avionpete

Post by avionpete »

I am new here and I was wondering if you got your awning back in place.
I had a wind come up and caused my awning to come out of the track had to tie it to the left side awning brackets to get it home / than I had to slide it back in from the end you do not want to force that extrusion open
as the two parts are desinged to work together. I found that if you put a srew in the ends it reduces the chances of it to start to peel open.
Markinalaska

Post by Markinalaska »

Avionpete,
Sorry about the late reply, I haven’t been on the site to check messages in awhile.
No I haven’t had a chance to work on that issue yet. But looking at the fabric it needs to be replaced so that would fix the problem with it coming out of the track. I just need to get the measurements for the fabric but I’m not sure how that is going to happen since I don’t think I can pull out the awning without it coming apart. I’ve been working on window seals and trying to get my old air con cover off. I actually busted a hardened steel bit trying to get the very first screw out of the cover. So far I’ve been able to remove one screw of the ones on the door side and that’s it. So as usual I start to work on something and it says not today. I might have to drill out the screws which will be a major PITA.
1981 34V
1995 F350 crew cab
avionpete

Post by avionpete »

From what you first stated it sounded like the awning was coming out of the track that is riveted to the roof.I would not be prying that open as if you raise it up you can slide the two pieces together. To do this it is simple task it just takes help from other people. I reinserted my awning with the help of a friend and my wife using two ladders and moving along the side of the trailer as we went. The pieces slide fairly easy but it needs to be lifted at a higher angle so it goes along the opening. This makes it act as a hinge. Now when I camp I make sure if the wind is blowing I tie the awning arm to the ground so it can not flap (or lift) to high and cause it to start to come out again. Also like I mentioned I also installed to screw at the front and back of the pieces so they are captivated and can not separate.

I have purchased parts from Zip Dee and they are very helpful If you talk to customer service. They helped me identify part and what they sent out were updated to what they are using today but all the part work just fine.

When I first purchased my trailer I had to remove the Air conditioner cover to remove hornet nests and I just ground the head of the bolts off then I used self drilling screws for steel roof they
have a washer that seals them when screwed down in a spot next to the old screws and they are holding fine.
Markinalaska

Post by Markinalaska »

That’s a good idea on the cover. As for the awning I’m probably going to hold off doing anything with it until I get down to the lower 48. It will be easier to get parts there since they are killing us up here with shipping right now. And I doubt I would be able to afford shipping the awning fabric from the states to Mars, which is where I think most online stores think I live. I looked at some small parts and most companies wanted twice as much as the cost of the parts to ship them. The parts would fit in a USPS if it fits it ships box which I would gladly pay for but they want to FedEx everything because that’s they way they ship things. FedEx to Alaska isn’t cheap for anything. Finding parts that don’t cost an exorbitant amount to ship seems to occupy most of my online shopping experience. Takes me about 4 times as long to get parts ordered because of that. I quit using Amazon because I don’t like giving any of my hard earned money to Mr. Bezos, his politics are very off putting to me. I used to use Amazon Smile and used the NRA as the charity just to make Amazon send them money which I know they hated. But I won’t even do that anymore.
1981 34V
1995 F350 crew cab