Structural damage to tongue/frame due to rust

Shell/Exterior Maintenance, Windows, Gaskets, Awnings, Vent Lids/Covers, Rockguards
Soonergirl66

Structural damage to tongue/frame due to rust

Post by Soonergirl66 »

We spent some time, yesterday, taking a closer look at our 1966 Avion Tourist. The most significant damage is from rust and erosion to the left side of the tongue/frame. My question is this: how much would one expect to pay for this type of repair? There’s an Amish man in our area that has a reputation for excellent welding work.
Soonergirl66

Re: Structural damage to tongue/frame due to rust

Post by Soonergirl66 »

Sorry, hit SUBMIT before attaching the pic. The first picture shows significant damage, after rust was scraped away. The second may be more than cosmetic.
Attachments
Left side
Left side
Right side
Right side
Overdrive

Post by Overdrive »

Is it rotted through or just rust bubbling the paint?

If it’s rust just under the paint sand it with a heavy grit and treat the rust with a rust converter then use a red oxide primer then paint. I would use black farm equipment oil paint with hardener. Tractor supply has it. It’s about 35 bucks for a quart of paint and a bottle of hardener.

If it’s rotted through then it requires welding a brace to keep the frame and tongue sections true, cut out the old rusted section and weld in a new section. Then grind the welds primer and paint

It doesn’t look rotted through. Looks to be just surface rust under the paint. You definitely wanna take care of it. Sand it then use rust converter abd at least primer it
Soonergirl66

Post by Soonergirl66 »

I think the right side may just require cleanup and paint but will check it out. The left side will definitely require some welding as you suggested. Thanks fir taking the time to reply!
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

I had a similar rust condition on the frame of our trailer. I removed the propane tanks and support bracket to get to both sides. I then took a power wire and grinding wheels to remove the loose paint and heavy rust. I found some heavy pitting but nothing to indicate deep fractures in the frame; the frame is 1/4"+ steel. I went the Rust-oleum heavy metal primer route followed by an acrylic paint.

If unsure of the frame's condition, have your welder look at it. At worst, he might suggest welding a wide mending plate across the offending area to stiffen the frame on all 4 sides.

Cutting out and welding in a new section can get dicey. You end up with weld lines carrying the load, not to mention having to keep the trailer perfectly square to make a precise repair.

Sometimes a sand blaster is the easiest way to remove heavy rust in obscure spots. Your welder should have one if needed.

For cost, $225-275 would be reasonable for the repair I described. Keep us posted!
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Soonergirl66

Post by Soonergirl66 »

Thank you for taking the time Bob. This pretty much what I thought — wishful thinking, but I was afraid it would be much worse. So your reply comes as welcome news. I had no idea of what this would cost. The local Amish welder has a good reputation for repairs on heavy equipment, tractors and farm implements. Will post progress soon (I hope)
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Expect success!!
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P