Repairing "banana wap"

Shell/Exterior Maintenance, Windows, Gaskets, Awnings, Vent Lids/Covers, Rockguards
Nelsonpharmd

Repairing "banana wap"

Post by Nelsonpharmd »

I'll be purhcasing a 1988 30P next week and I noticed that it has some damage to the "banana wrap" behind the wheel well. With our current aisstream that's a really easy fix since that section of the body is an individulal panel. Has anyone had to do a similar fix on an avion? I was thinking of just getting some anodized aluminum sheeting and making a cutting a piece out (after making a cardboard template of course). Does anyone see any hurdles that I may come across that I'm not accounting for?
Attachments
IMG_20210306_091440.jpg
leighlandon

Re: Repairing "banana wap"

Post by leighlandon »

I have taken that section off and will be replacing. If you want to keep the door, storage and access, have Cayo make you a replacement, he can also tell you the best way to take it off and repair. Not too difficult, several Salty I believe recently, have tackled it.
Landon
1986 34V Silver Edition
Nelsonpharmd

Post by Nelsonpharmd »

Thanks Landon! I had considered just cutting some anodized aluminum sheet to fil the profile (I don't really care if I have the storage down there). We'll see though. Thanks again!
Salty

Post by Salty »

Replacing that piece of sheet metal isn't hard to do, the question is do you want to keep the door or not. If you want to keep the door, as I did, you need to get in touch with Chuck Cayo and order the piece that you want. Be prepared to wait a couple months.
If you want to replace that piece yourself, then measure the dimensions you need and order up some anodized sheet in .040 thickness and you're good to go.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.