I need some guidance please!

110 volt, 12 volt, Batteries, Converters and Inverters, Solar
DJ18

Re: I need some guidance please!

Post by DJ18 »

with so much appreciation to your help, I have the gfi outlet wired properly and have power in all the rest of the outlets. I used the 'jumper' wire, about 20' behind the couch. it is 12 I think, (possibly 14?) have to double check. had to go to 2 stores to find it, cause stock was low. If I need a heavier gauge, I'll get it tomorrow.

I have to do a little wire routing to get everything looking good, but load and line wires all identified, marked and ready. the outlet over the couch needs to be replaced, if I find one like it, or eliminated if I can't.

I'm happy to have this on the way to being done. THANK YOU.
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Just to be sure, are you certain the cable between the working outlet and previous nonworking outlet is completely disconnected? You definitely don’t want a hot wire that’s broken inside the wall. Now that the portion of the bad cable is disconnected on both ends, are you able to tug on one end of the cable and see it move at the other end? Or if possible, pull that cable out? It’s probably embedded in spray foam, but it’d be nice to see what the problem was.

Glad you got it working and way to hang in there! Only use 12awg. A 14awg cable is too small and can overheat with a draw on a 20 breaker. The wire should say “12-2” on it and will probably be yellow. You can use some small conduit clamps with short screws to hold the wire in place.

Purchase one of those testers so you can verify all your hots amd neutrals are wired correctly at each outlet. The tester will also let you know that you have a good ground connection. I’d get one that has a little button on top so you can also test GFCI’s.

Here is a receptacle that may work for you:

https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Group-WD ... 774&sr=8-4

Please post some pics so we can see what you’ve done just in case we see something suspect.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

I’m curious....how many outlets are fed by your gfci? You can check this by tripping the gfci amd testing the outlets. The outlets on the “load” side of the gfci won’t have any juice when the gfci is tripped.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
DJ18

Post by DJ18 »

I will have to get more wire, what I used is 14/2. As far as the dead wire, I tested by separating all the wires at the three outlets. Multimeter tested for the hot wires at the last working outlet location. Then attached the length of new wire to the hot wire (line) and the other end to one of the wires at the next outlet (the first dead one.) then I tested the dead wire at the last live outlet spot, and it was still dead. Then tested the wires at the gfi location, and found the live one. So marked it with tape. Not getting those wires confused again. Lots of turning breakers off and on. When all wired to the outlets and the line and lead wires identified and the dead wires wrapped to be sure, breaker turned on and every outlet worked. I’m not done, I’ll order the outlet you sent me a link to and I think I want to route the new wire safely, along the wall behind the couch and the dining table.

I’d like to pull that dead wire out, but it is absolutely immovable —to me anyway.

It’s early still, I’ll go out and trip the gfi and see what the other outlets do. I didn’t check the outside one last night, surprisingly it isn’t a gfi plug. But I’ll check it today.

I may still take the trailer to that RV repair guy, just to make sure I got it right and to make it pretty.
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Glad you are on the right track.

That outside outlet is probably protected by the inside GFCI. That is, if you push the test button on the GFCI, then the juice to the outside outlet would be disconnected.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
DJ18

Post by DJ18 »

Probably so. Now that it’s sorted out, I wonder about the best way to replace the wire. My temporary job has the wire running down towards the floor under the couch and then along the wall behind the table and furnace cabinet and into the outlet box. I wish I could get it behind the wall more like the original path, but looking at pictures of gutted Avions, I don’t see how. Except for removing interior skin and that’s more than we want to do...maybe.
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Do you have pics so we can get a visual?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
DJ18

Post by DJ18 »

I will take and post some today
debbie
1985 Avion 25H