Axle replacement

Axles and Suspension Systems, Brakes, Brake Controllers, Wheels, Tires
mikearce18

Axle replacement

Post by mikearce18 »

Hello all. New member here. I recently acquired a 1972 Avion V-25 Voyageur and am looking to renovate it completely. I'm starting at the bottom with getting the axles replaced. My rig has the Mor-ryde system and I'm unsure how to go about getting replacement parts. It doesn't seem like I simply purchase aftermarket axles and bolt them on - the existing axles have a post teeing off from the middle of the axle and attached to the frame. Anybody know what I'm talking about and have experience replacing these axles? Thanks.
Michael Arce
1972 Avion V-25 Voyageur
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: Axle replacement

Post by KYAvion »

MorRyde is top of the line. Check the 3 pages of links in the Documentation section for numerous posts about the MorRyde suspension.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
mikearce18

Post by mikearce18 »

Thanks for the response KYAvion! So, did you replace the axles on your rig? Where did you end up getting them?
Michael Arce
1972 Avion V-25 Voyageur
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

The previous owner of my 1984 Avion had them installed. Actually, the father of the previous owner had them installed, and then passed the trailer onto his son. I was told he had the MorRyde suspension on his prior trailer (I believe an Avion) and he liked it so much that he had it installed on this one.

I looked at the rubber shear blocks and none of the cracking looked too bad when I got the trailer about 5-6 years ago. As far as I know, those rubber shear blocks are typically the only part that needs replaced due to age/wear.

Your trailer is a 1972 so you’ve got an older version of the MorRyde system. I’d call MorRyde directly and see what they say. They were pretty helpful when I called to ask questions about the suspension before buying this Avion.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Any reason why you want to replace your suspension? How do the rubber shear springs between the big metal plates look?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R