outlets, back up camera, sound

DJ18

outlets, back up camera, sound

Post by DJ18 »

We have been camping. had a great time last weekend, a pleasant surprise to find our favorite campground by Lake Roberts open again, and our favorite spot empty. It was perfect. I backed right in, with hubs behind the trailer telling me which way to turn the wheel....1st topic. I need to find a backup camera. the wireless kind, that uses an iPhone or iPad as the screen might be best. any recommendations? I also am about ready to look for help with the "control panel". sort out wire, put in a Sirius radio and connect the antenna. wires give me anxiety.

We decided to spend the first night in at City of Rocks, as they have water and a shoe bumped one of the low point drains open. It was chilly, and to save propane, we used a little electric heater. I first smelled a slightly hot smell, the heater went off and on, then off. several of the outlets don't work anymore. no tripped breakers, or gfi outlets and I don't see fried wires at the plug. We still have several outlets that work, but I don't want an electrical issue. the outlet that the heater was plugged into is the one above the furnace. I can see that wire in the refrigerator access panel and it looks fine. but that probably means little.

there is a 70 something "avion airstream' on facebook marketplace. (in Deming NM area) $7000, and looks pretty good.

I've decided I'd like a really little trailer for when I want to go somewhere and DH doesn't want to go or when we go somewhere where speed and stealth would matter. Like a long road trip. edit to add, not instead of the Avion! in addition to.

hope everyone is doing ok.
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: outlets, back up camera, sound

Post by KYAvion »

Are any of the other outlets on the same breaker working?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
DJ18

Post by DJ18 »

the only outlets that still work are the one over the kitchen sink, on the underside of the upper cabinet, and the one behind the couch on the wall. there is one inside the cabinet over the stove and an exterior one that I haven't tested and I will go out and do that now. The one on the refrigerator wall, the bathroom, and the bedroom outlets don't work. I reset all of the breakers, there are not that many, and none seemed tripped. Thanks!
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Are all those on the same breaker? What I would do is start by shutting off all the breakers (except the 30 or 50 amp MAIN), and then turn a single breaker on at a time. Plug a tester in each outlet so you can determine which outlets are on which breaker.

Ordinarily, the microwave outlet (above the stove) would be on its own circuit (dedicated breaker).
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
DJ18

Post by DJ18 »

The breakers on the converter are; main breaker, receptacles, air conditioner, and converter. There is a space that says microwave, but there isn’t a switch for it, it is in the same slot as the one labeled converter. The switch labeled receptacles is the one that turns on the outlets. The only outlets that work are the one over the stove (microwave plug) the one over the sink and the one in the corner above the couch. The one in the ref. Wall, the bathroom and none of the bedroom ones work. The outside outlet, which is below the bedroom one, also does not work. I suppose they are all daisy chained together, with the ones in the bedroom ending the chain. Maybe the break is in the one on the refrigerator wall and goes on to the end of the line to the bedroom and outdoor outlet. If the chain starts at the converter and goes to the kitchen then to the couch, the next in line is the one on the drivers side and from there on the outlets are dead. I don’t know if that supposition is right, but to my non electrical brain, it makes sense. Of course what to do about it, I don’t know. We don’t use electric power much, but I’d like to feel there isn’t a risk in plugging in!
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

When you say “converter” I believe you are meaning the electrical panel for 120v. You should see a 30 amp breaker for the one marked “MAIN.” All the other breakers are probably 20 amp.

The converter only supplies power to 12v fixtures/appliances (e.g., lights, furnace, water pump, range hood fan, etc). The breaker that is labeled “converter” is most likely the breaker providing power to the converter, but again the converter simply converts 120v to 12v. From what you’ve described, the converter and microwave (outlet above stove) are on the same breaker.

All your other outlets would likely be powered by the breaker that says “receptacles”. This is where your problem lies.

Get yourself one of these to test for power at your outlets: https://www.amazon.com/Receptacle-Teste ... yonsite-20

Do ANY of the outlets on the “receptacles” breaker work?

If none of the outlets on the “receptacles” breaker work, then you could have a bad breaker. Does it trip? Make sure it’s in the ON position by turning the breaker to the left, and then back to the right. Sometimes they can look like they’re ON when they’re not.

If nothing on the 20 amp “receptacles” breaker works, then an easy thing to try is replacing the breaker. Unplug from shore power before swapping it out with a new 20 amp breaker. I doubt this is the problem, but it’s something easy to rule out.

Also try to reset the GFCI in the bathroom. After that try to reset the GFCI in the outside compartment. I’d start by replacing those GFCI’s first to rule them out if resetting them doesn’t work. They’re old and could use replacing anyway. To be safe, just shut your main breaker off or unplug from shore power, then wire the new GFCI’s EXACTLY like the old ones. There are connections for the LINE and LOAD, so be sure not to get the wires mixed up. The wires going to LINE on the old GFCI need to go to LINE on the new GFCI, and the same for the wires connected to LOAD.

If the outside outlet is not a GFCI, then it probably should be (although it’s probably protected by the inside GFCI). Remove the cover plate and check for corrosion as the terminals.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

KYAvion wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:03 pm When you say “converter” I believe you are meaning the electrical panel for 120v. You should see a 30 amp breaker for the one marked “MAIN.” All the other breakers are probably 20 amp.

The converter only supplies power to 12v fixtures/appliances (e.g., lights, furnace, water pump, range hood fan, etc). The breaker that is labeled “converter” is most likely the breaker providing power to the converter, but again the converter simply converts 120v to 12v. From what you’ve described, the converter and microwave (outlet above stove) are on the same breaker.

All your other outlets would likely be powered by the breaker that says “receptacles”. This is where your problem lies.

Get yourself one of these to test for power at your outlets: https://www.amazon.com/Receptacle-Teste ... yonsite-20

Do ANY of the outlets on the “receptacles” breaker work?

If none of the outlets on the “receptacles” breaker work, then you could have a bad breaker. Does it trip? Make sure it’s in the ON position by turning the breaker to the left, and then back to the right. Sometimes they can look like they’re ON when they’re not.

If nothing on the 20 amp “receptacles” breaker works, then an easy thing to try is replacing the breaker. Unplug from shore power before swapping it out with a new 20 amp breaker. I doubt this is the problem, but it’s something easy to rule out.

Also try to reset the GFCI in the bathroom. After that try to reset the GFCI in the outside compartment. I’d start by replacing those GFCI’s first to rule them out if resetting them doesn’t work. They’re old and could use replacing anyway. To be safe, just shut your main breaker off or unplug from shore power, then wire the new GFCI’s EXACTLY like the old ones. There are connections for the LINE and LOAD, so be sure not to get the wires mixed up. The wires going to LINE on the old GFCI need to go to LINE on the new GFCI, and the same for the wires connected to LOAD.

If the outside outlet is not a GFCI, then it probably should be (although it’s probably protected by the inside GFCI). Remove the cover plate and check for corrosion as the terminals.
The GFCI and other plugs are a PITA to replace. If I recall, the plug and electrical box are one and the same. The plug itself is a 2-piece unit. The wire and insulation jacket harden up over time, making wire connections and routing for new plugs extremely difficult.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

On my 30R the regular outlets are one in the same as you mentioned, but my GFCI is like any other household GFCI. Maybe it was updated in the past.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
DJ18

Post by DJ18 »

Thank you for trying to help! Yes,the gfci is in the bathroom and i bet it is the problem. Yes, by converter I mean the panel that holds the fuses for the 12 v and the breakers for 110 shore power. When the receptical power switch is on, I have 3 outlets that work. I bet it is the gfci as that is the second in line from the outlet the heater was plugged into. I don’t think the little buttons you push to reset the outlet are pushing properly. We will replace it and see if that is the problem. Yeah those outlets wires are tough! Thank you guys for helping me thing things through. My husband is helpful, but not as concerned with the Avion. If I do the trouble shooting and then ask him to do a specific job, he will. ( And I can and do do a lot of the jobs.)
debbie
1985 Avion 25H