Black tank

Freshwater System, Grey and Black Tanks, LP Gas
Avion4us2

Black tank

Post by Avion4us2 »

Has anyone attempted or know how the Black tank comes out in a 1979 10V (34") Avion? Im assuming 2 pan sheet come off first, then... :o
silverloaf

Re: Black tank

Post by silverloaf »

I see you haven't had any responses to your questions.

I think the best way to figure this out is to remove the belly pan fasteners on the dump valve side. Take a high quality 1/8" drill bit. Drill through the center of rivet about 1/4" or so. It will split apart.

Continue to do so until the belly pan drops enough so you can peak through the gap. This should give you an idea of the method used to secure the tank in place before dropping the pans themselves.

In our '88 30P, the tank is held in place by 3 aluminum t-rails. These rails are secured to the sub-frame with screws on the left and right side of the tank. There is blocking on all sides of the tank to keep it from shifting out of position during travel.

Before dropping the black tank, you need to disconnect and remove the dump valve and its connections to the tank. Also, unscrew the toilet flange under the toilet. The flange screws into the top of the tank.

By the way, we had to replace some steel sub-frame members before and after the dump valve due to rust-out. Parts of these members actually supported the t-rails. However, there is enough experience on the forum to walk you through this.

Good luck. Respond if you have any questions.
Last edited by silverloaf on Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Avion4us2

Post by Avion4us2 »

Thanx for the response. Took an initial peak and thought I saw sheet metal screws with hex heads. I will lower the tongue to the ground and jack up the last axle hoping to give me better clearance.
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Avion4us2 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:51 pm Thanx for the response. Took an initial peak and thought I saw sheet metal screws with hex heads. I will lower the tongue to the ground and jack up the last axle hoping to give me better clearance.
Yes, Our t-rails were held in place with hex head screws.

Ground clearance will be the biggest challenge. I recall our tank being roughly 9-1/2" deep. That means getting the trailer's frame roughly 12-14" off the ground to swing the tank out. I had our trailer supported in 7 places along the frame.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P