Rock Guard for front window: 1970 Voyaguer 26 Ultra

A general discussion forum
zoomjay

Rock Guard for front window: 1970 Voyaguer 26 Ultra

Post by zoomjay »

I plan to go pick up my "newused" 1970 Avion in a week or two (having new tires and brakes put on it). In the pictures I noticed that it does not have a "rock guard" for the front window.

How important is it to have one of these and/or where could one buy one (can one buy one?). I will have to bring it home without one although can probably add one once home.
RISK

Re: Rock Guard for front window: 1970 Voyaguer 26 Ultra

Post by RISK »

I would be really nervous to Not have the rock guard. Those curved wing windows are as precious as unicorn laughs.

That said, finding a rock guard will be of the needle in a haystack variety.

However, you do have options,

1) make one: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f454/b ... 22061.html

2) have one made: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1261

I was looking for one for a friend, but they backed out of the trailer they were going to buy. Now I have a reason to look again!

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)
zoomjay

Post by zoomjay »

At one point I seem to remember that there is a company in the mid west owned by a grandson of one of the founders who made these.... or am I crazy?? I cannot remember the company name or location (guess my grandfather was right when he said that getting old is not easy)...
RISK

Post by RISK »

You’re thinking of Chuck Cayo at Cayo RV.

Rumor was he has one awhile back but he lost his mold in a fire and can’t make more.
No website, no email. Unlikely to return voice mail. Once you get him on the line however, he’s a great dude willing to help.

Chuck Cayo
+1 (269) 463-5068

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
zoomjay

Post by zoomjay »

Update... I did just correspond with someone at Heintz Design and Vintage Trailer Restoration (FB page here: https://www.facebook.com/HeintzDesignsV ... QH_bRxAlmR

They tell me that they are finishing the rock guard kit now and plan to start shipping soon. They just had an Avion pull into the shop and will take pictures and create the installation instructions. Their kit will include all hardware needed.

So, maybe just a matter of time??
RISK

Post by RISK »

Do you have any pics of your ultra?
There is one for sale in NM and I’m wondering if it’s the same one?

The ad seems kind of sketchy...
https://www.shoppok.com/lascruces/a,38, ... EXICO-.htm

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
zoomjay

Post by zoomjay »

I have multiple pics of the one I will pick up.... and it not these pictures. I should pick mine up next week or the week after.

Interesting part is that the one in the ad in is Las Cruces - not far from my folks. Small world...
DJ18

Post by DJ18 »

I live in Las Cruces, and I think I may know the man selling this. If it's who I think it is, he is a collector of vintage trailers and has had several for sale over the years. The man I'm thinking of usually lists on facebook market place though. I almost bought an old airstream from him, but luckily found out my friends were selling their Avion the day before I had set up a time to see this guy's AS.

edit to add, I found his number and yes, it is the man I thought it is. He is "legit"
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
DJ18

Post by DJ18 »

So reading this trailer ad, I see he claims "the quality of the Avion went down after Fleetwood bought it" I don't think he is right, but I have only my own camper to judge by. any grounds for this statement?
debbie
1985 Avion 25H