New member - almost owner

A little about yourself
Cordite

New member - almost owner

Post by Cordite »

Hello all. I've been haunting this site for a couple of years. So much great information. Thank you!

We have been trying to buy an avion from some friends for a year or so. It is in good shape but has been sitting in a barn unused for about 10 years. They want quite a bit for it and it is frustrating to not have a good read on a fair price. Of course you can find one in rough shape for two or three thousand dollars but when it comes to a nice one I see prices all over the map from 8,000 to 30,000. And when you compare them to a airstream well then all bets are off. Just venting I guess. I know it will need new tires and other things and hate to spend too much just getting it home. Hopefully we can get to an agreeable price soon.

One question for now; how much hidden damage can mice do? The trailer has had mice in it for years. They must be finding some way of getting up through the belly pain. They trap them and I see so obvious sign of them but wonder if they could be chewing wires or causing other hidden damage.

I will say more about us if/when we close the deal.
silverloaf

Re: New member - almost owner

Post by silverloaf »

If you are truly interested in this trailer, your friends should prove to you it is worth the price. Have them pull the trailer out of the barn and do a functional check of the appliances, lighting, furnace/ac, water heater, water supply/pump, toilet, inverter, roof fans, etc. Hook it up to a tow vehicle and see if all the clearance, brake and marker lights are working.

Brakes and suspension are another matter. You can pretty well assume they will need some attention, especially if you believe your friends know little about the trailer. Tire condition is good tell of upkeep.

The presence of mice is a problem for all trailer owners. However, in the case of the Avion, all wiring except electric brakes, runs through the cabin. The electrical test described above should help minimize your concern. Of course, you could be fooled by a burnt out bulb.

The only way to mitigate a mouse problem is to seal up the belly pan. There are many places where the pan has gaps that look small to you but an expressway for them.

Frankly, I've avoided buying anything from friends, especially in complex areas such as this. If anything goes wrong after the purchase, it could affect the friendship.

Finally, I would search for a trailer in the southern states. We purchased ours in mid-Michigan and experienced rusted-out cross members and floor rot. Moisture gets entrapped and won't dry out.

I'm sure you will get a lot of input from the forum to address your concerns. Ask away. We're here to help.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Razorback

Re: New member - almost owner

Post by Razorback »

Hi, Cordite..... welcome to the forum!

To answer your question: there’s no telling how much damage those little critters have caused without a thorough inspection. Just trapping them is not enough...... their damage can be downright GROSS and unhealthy/dangerous.

If I were you, I would take their lack of settling on a price as a good sign to pass on that one. Obviously, that is totally up to you. It can all be fixed, but at what expense? Maybe they can get a fair price by having appraised as-is?
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???