Front window material

A general discussion forum
Justin

Front window material

Post by Justin »

What is the front window made out of originally? I purchased a 73 Travelcader this week and I suspect the window had been replaced. All 3 panels (the middle and the two curved) are made of a lightly tinted plexiglass material, while the rest of the trailer has tempered glass. They don’t look bad per se, I’m just curious what it should be. Is what I have likely the best I can expect to do, or should I look to replace with something different if possible. I’ve got it taken apart at the moment so now is the time if there is a better product or option. Thanks!
Attachments
D02A23CE-6FA3-413B-AB59-63A1B0ABCEC7.jpeg
02DDC4AF-47CD-4D74-974F-07E4D53C4AFE.jpeg
Justin
Bloomingdale, IN
1973 25’ Travelcader
2011 Chevy Silverado 2500 6.6L Duramax
Justin

Re: Front window material

Post by Justin »

As an update to this, all of the other side windows (kitchen, dinette, above the bed) are PPG tempered glass, but apparently original as they have 1972 printed on them and the trailer is a 73. I read in the manual under the "Care and Cleaning" section that the front curved windows were originally acrylic plastic, but the large flat middle section is the same material as the curved panes, and I'm wondering if that was supposed to be the case.

Also as an aside, I'm struggling to find what style my windows are for replacement gaskets and glazing. I know they're Hehr windows, but I can't find anything stamped on the frames for identification.
Justin
Bloomingdale, IN
1973 25’ Travelcader
2011 Chevy Silverado 2500 6.6L Duramax
RISK

Re: Front window material

Post by RISK »

Hey Justin,

The curved (as well as the rest) windows on my '78 are tempered glass. I didn't realize they came stock as acrylic.

Try vintagetrailergaskets.com for your gasket needs. The owner is super helpful and knowledgeable in that area.
Him and I spent a good deal of time on the phone trying to figure out what I needed and he even sent me a sample pack for free to try a bunch of different profiles and materials.

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)