Wood blocks?

A general discussion forum
WEB

Wood blocks?

Post by WEB »

I understand that accessories for some of the trailers included a chain (which I have; for a dual axle when one tire is flat, ), a jack bracket (for the MORryde suspension, which I've posted about), and some wood blocks.

Does anyone know what the wood blocks were for, what they looked like, what their dimensions were, what type of wood they were made of, etc?

For that matter, has anyone ever used the chain?

Thanks
RISK

Re: Wood blocks?

Post by RISK »

I have no clue about the chain and just learned about the jack accessory from you earlier today. I carry several pieces of wood for a few reasons:
- 2x12 @ 6’ for a leveling base, a makeshift work bench or even a quick bike jump for my kids. Pressure treated.
- 6x6x12 for my tongue jack. It’s kind of a good luck charm as I had it when I bought the trailer and still use it.
- 2 or 3 4x4x8 chunks, bottle jack base among other uses.
- 4’x6’8” sheet of 5/8” ply with two handles cut out. Fits in my bed and acts as a cheap bed drawer and also work surface or front porch if it’s really muddy.

I’d be curious as to where you are reading about these accessories?
I carry quite a few random things.

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)
WEB

Post by WEB »

I first saw the jack bracket at the SAF rally in Elkhart in 2018. I also heard about 'wood blocks' at that time. The chain was with my trailer and I initially didn't understand why, thinking it was just a random piece of chain with a hook on one end.

My understanding initially was that the chain, jack bracket, and blocks were all standard accessories (I have a '75 28' Le Grande). I've since learned from MORryde that the jack bracket was never their product and confirmed with the owners of the one I saw (Pewter Palace) that there are no maker's marks on the one they have. I then confirmed with Chuck Cayo that although he has one (somewhere) Avion never distributed the jack bracket, so I assume someone made it/them or had them made because there are a number of them out there (somewhere). The fact that it may not be original equipment belies its apparent utility.

I've recently heard from a fellow who says that he has 'blocks of wood' that "came with the trailer" and he's the second owner. I don't know what they are, their dimensions, or anything else, but the fellow is pretty adamant that they were 'standard equipment'. I've asked for photos and dimensions but so far no response. Beyond that, I know not. Cayo didn't answer when I called today.

I'm sure we all carry odds and ends of stuff (ex. wood blocks) for various uses; I certainly do. What I'm trying to determine is what was original equipment or, in the case of the jack bracket, useful to have if not original.

To directly answer your question of "where did I/ where am I"; it's from various sources, some specifics of which I don't remember because between 2018 and now I didn't pursue it.
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

I carry several 2x4, 2x6, 4x4, and 4x6(?) pieces of wood for leveling, for putting under the tongue jack foot, and under the stabilizers if the terrain dictates. I can also use them to support the trailer if tire or bearing work is needed. (NEVER rely on a jack.)
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Salty

Post by Salty »

I profess my infinite ignorance. What is the chain for?
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Salty wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:28 pm I profess my infinite ignorance. What is the chain for?
I have never experimented with it, but I have heard that a chain can be used to keep an axle/drum off of the ground as you limp down the road after blowing a tire. I suppose you would remove the wheel first? Makes sense, but I'm curious if I need something like that on our 34W.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
WEB

Post by WEB »

I spoke to Chuck Cayo this afternoon and he explained that there is a bar on the frame above the axle with a slot in it. In the event of a flat tire and no spare, you can jack up the axle and remove the tire and use the chain (held in the slot) to hold the axle/hub up until you can get the tire repaired/replaced; presumable at the very next available tire shop. ["jack up the axle", cue up the music, enter the bottle jack bracket]

The chain that was with our trailer, 18"+/- long (I've never measured it) has a hook on one end; the same hook that is on our safety chains. However, Chuck said that there is nothing special about the chain, besides the correct size, that any piece of chain will do.

As far as 'wood blocks', again according to Chuck, Avion never supplied them. Just like us, folks collect the sizes they think they need and they knock around in storage until we need them.
Salty

Post by Salty »

I feel like a poor cousin. No such fitting/installation on my Trailer.
I reviewed the trailer manual and that wasn't listed in my accessories. As for a bar with a slot, also absent. I have the feeling overall that this was not part of 80's Avions or at least '87 and newer.
Just as well. It will encourage me to keep a viable spare.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
WEB

Post by WEB »

I measured my chain and it is in fact an extra piece of the same safety chain that's attached to the tongue; same length, diameter, and hook. I also took a photo of the bracket and there is one at each wheel.
Attachments
Axle Bracket.jpg
Axle_Chain.jpg
RISK

Post by RISK »

That’s pretty clever.
I’ll have to take a look tomorrow and see if I have the same brackets.

Thanks for the info Web.

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)