Rivet Sizes and types

Shell/Exterior Maintenance, Windows, Gaskets, Awnings, Vent Lids/Covers, Rockguards
leighlandon

Rivet Sizes and types

Post by leighlandon »

Hi Folks,

Newbie here, we just bought a 1986 Silver Edition 34v, that we plan to start restoring here soon.

I have had a hard time understanding what size rivets I should stock up on. Not just that but also brands. Some like the Olympic, some cherry, some cherry max and some folks like whatever...

How about Rivet guns? Makita and Milwaukee have an electric version that looks really cool. I sure there are some favorite air powered ones as well.

Any help is appreciated. This is such a great Forum and I really appreciate all the knowledge that is shared in this space.

Thanks Again,

Landon
Landon
1986 34V Silver Edition
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: Rivet Sizes and types

Post by KYAvion »

I believe most people use 5/32” Olympic rivets since Buck rivets require access to the inside. Check out Vintage Trailer Supply. A link to rivets, rivet tool, rivet shaver, etc. is here...
https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/category-s/205.htm
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Justin

Post by Justin »

This thread is a little older, but what did you wind up going with? I’ve seen the Olympic rivets mentioned by most for exterior work, but I’ve also seen people say to just use them for patches and odds and ends, not for total panel removal and replacement. Wouldn’t that be your only option when putting a panel back on, unless your also removing the inside panel and all the spray insulation as well?
Justin
Bloomingdale, IN
1973 25’ Travelcader
2011 Chevy Silverado 2500 6.6L Duramax
Salty

Post by Salty »

see this thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1338
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
leighlandon

Post by leighlandon »

Hi Justin,

Still can’t find any Olympic but bought shavable baytites off Amazon.

Thanks
Landon
Landon
1986 34V Silver Edition