NEW MEMBER 07/12/2020

A little about yourself
CamperGuy

NEW MEMBER 07/12/2020

Post by CamperGuy »

Hey everyone! Glad to be a new member. I live in Pennsylvania on the western side of the state. Just yesterday put some down money on a "new to us" 1972 La Grande. I have wanted a silver trailer forever and thought that AirS%$#@ was the way to go. Once we set foot in the La Grande we were hooked!
If anyone has some advice on starting into this venture, please help and respond. I would like some insight into what to look for and what not to do.
Thank you
Razorback

Re: NEW MEMBER 07/12/2020

Post by Razorback »

Welcome, CamperGuy! We are glad you are here. Congratulations on your Avion! You will not regret it!

There will be members along soon that can help with your specific vintage of Avion.

(My dad's side of the family came from Sherman, NY... dairy farm family. Curious where you live?)
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
DJ18

Post by DJ18 »

welcome and congratulations! We bought an 85 25H in January. and we love it!

There is a lot of helpful and interesting information on the internet and this place is the best. people have posted about just about everything at one time or another, the search works great and there is just so much shared information!
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
CamperGuy

Post by CamperGuy »

Thank you guys for the welcome! I live in western Pennsylvania. Just bought a ‘72 La Grande and have to go pick it up. It’s been sitting forever and it will be an adventure for sure to get it home. I look forward to knowing everyone. Thanks and god bless.
RISK

Post by RISK »

CamperGuy wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:17 am Thank you guys for the welcome! I live in western Pennsylvania. Just bought a ‘72 La Grande and have to go pick it up. It’s been sitting forever and it will be an adventure for sure to get it home. I look forward to knowing everyone. Thanks and god bless.
Congratulations and welcome,

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your new trailer.
As for retrieval, you might be wise to bring new tires with you, they are almost certainly 15” with a 6x5.5” bolt pattern. If you have a ways to go and/or a smaller tow vehicle, new brakes would also be advised. At a minimum, repacking the wheel bearings would be a good idea.

A few things I bring on recovery missions are:
- temporary tow lights
- 100’ paracord
- fuses (probably the older glass bussman type)
- portable air inflator
- 6’ ladder
- corrosion x or similar lubricant
- tube of lithium grease
- duct tape (if used, be sure to remove asap as the residue can be a bear to remove)
- bottle jack and jack stand
- moisture probe or awl/ice pick
- a pair of 2,000 watt Honda generators if there is no 30amp on site
- 20lb LP tank
- decent tool kit including clutch head screw driver tips
- new deep cycle agm battery, group 24
Lots more or less depending on the situation and purported condition...

This list may seem extreme but rarely is a trailer sold with all defects disclosed or even known.

Best of luck,
Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)
CamperGuy

Post by CamperGuy »

Thanks man! Certainly a good list to go with. I have began packing things to go already. It will be an adventure.