my opinion, for what it's worth

A general discussion forum
DJ18

Re: my opinion, for what it's worth

Post by DJ18 »

"without thought" that is the key! we've done enough things to campers in the name of improvement that I've regretted. none of the campers we "experimented" on were in good condition, and none were particularly special, most were marginally worth the effort. but they were a valuable learning experiences in what not to do. painting well is not easy and tearing out not an easy fix for anything.

Those who have had to make major repair, undo and rebuild--are way, way beyond my ability. Those who rescue and rehab a vintage trailer, no matter the new style--have my amazed admiration! And, in all honesty, if our trailer had needed much, we would have passed on it. Our son and his wife want one to save, gut and transform, and as they are meticulous and careful with their projects, I know it will be a beauty of classic modern design. And I will truly admire it, as I admire all of the really nice ones I've seen on forums, you tube videos and such.

It's just we were lucky enough to find one that is a great example of the craftsmanship and quality of a good classic trailer, and I've become a bit fanatic about it.

I guess I can't call 85 vintage yet, as my kids were born when it was built, but classic, yes.

What got me going the other day, and I truly apologize if this person is on this forum, was a bathroom with the tub painted with black truck bed paint. there was more, but enough said.
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
Salty

Post by Salty »

@DJ18 I hear you. On All counts. And it may surprise some to know, there are in fact things I have done on this trailer that I regret. Two, to be exact. One of which will change soon, one of which is very functional, but quite over bearing and does not fit in the scheme. I haven't figured this one out yet.

Something I want to mention: At no time was I offended or angry at the post and if I gave anyone that impression, I apologize.
As Razorback stated, the trailer is our canvas and we paint it with our personality. I'm a recovering sailor. Sometimes my personality, like my trailer, is a bit rough around the edges :D
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
DJ18

Post by DJ18 »

I am a member of a family of sailors....didn't know they recovered :D
no way did your post sound rough around the edges. and yes, everyone likes and needs something different from their trailer.

and there are things I'd like to change, just don't know what they are yet, or how to change them. I suppose it's easier to appreciate the nice condition it's in. And the overall feeling of the camper is so nice, I can't bear to think of messing it up, even if it isn't exactly my style.

I wish the back bedroom had a walk around bed design, but can't see how to make that happen. I will reupholster the comfy couch at some point, then maybe something else on the floor. just can't find anything I like enough to justify the job.

I'm still waffling about replacing the water lines.....
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
DJ18

Post by DJ18 »

and now, I have to eat some of my words. I was quite taken with the over all look of the Avion re do featured in family handyman magazine. not the red paint, although it is flashy. But the interior kind of amazed me. I like it! Uhhh
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
RISK

Post by RISK »

Here’s a link to that article: https://www.familyhandyman.com/list/stu ... -upgrades/

You have to watch the video to see glimpses of the interior.

The red looks like a vinyl wrap, they did a good job on it at least.

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)
DJ18

Post by DJ18 »

it's a roller paint job. there is a you tube video on the whole thing. I wouldn't expect a painted trailer to be easier to keep looking nice than a lovely aluminum one. but it's their project. neither would I paint or replace wooden cabinetry in nice condition. It was sad to see them just tossing stuff out the door in the you tube video.

but, I like the slightly brighter walls and the greyish, brownish tweed upholstery on the couch, the floor and the table leg. I love our clever table, but have never thought the french provincial style of leg quite right.
ah, picky picky.
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
Salty

Post by Salty »

Paint Job: Yeah, they just didn't get it. Or maybe they did and realized that it would take too many man hours to get the finish right.
The interior looks nice though.Tastefully done.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
DJ18

Post by DJ18 »

sort of on the same topic, but different direction! My husband likes our Avion a lot, he too is very happy with it as, probably because he doesn't want another project! but we have a funny, different point of view on something. All my adult life, I have wanted an aluminum trailer. I didn't know the difference between all of them, but still sighed every time I saw one. My feelings on finally owning one contain a lot of pride, assuming it must be admired by everyone. My husband has told me "not everyone is going to see a beautiful, desirable trailer" He maintains that most people will just think it is an old camper. Now that we've had it a while, and used it at a lot of places, I can sort of see he's right. some people indeed just see "an old camper". It defiantly doesn't matter to me, but it's kind of a new awareness. I don't want to be an airstream type snob, but I AM proud of my beautiful Avion. But thinking along those lines sort of explains why the red paint job may appeal to some. ( but not me.)

we are at a nice small and quiet campground in the Mimbres valley. because there are no events planned, they are opening their grounds to RV's. Most of the time they are booked way in advance for reunions, weddings, camps and other groups. It's a very, very nice place to camp with hookups, trees and near a lake. It's so good to get out!
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Sounds like an awesome outing......

(This is just my informed opinion, but while AS owners think they have an awesome trailer, WE know we have an awesome trailer!!)

As for others “seeing” your Avion..... I have experienced the same thing. Most people who know nothing about any of the silver trailers think they are Airstreams.... I guess it’s because that’s the only silver trailer they have ever heard of. BUT...... if they act interested, I LOVE to tell them about all of the “other” silver trailers and point out the fact that most of them came from previous Airstream people who knew they could build a better trailer. Of course, I finish up by telling them about the TOP OF THE HEAP...... Avion!! :D
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
DJ18

Post by DJ18 »

I couldn't agree more! here where we are, as the weekend arrives, more campers do too. Many are models I have looked at before we got the Avion. (I say "I" because my husband is fine with whatever we have, and is just glad I quit looking) there is a new shasta and an Rpod. we only bought the starcraft we had before the Avion because of a screaming deal and great trade in.

Now we have something so completely different! My RV friend said about our Avion/starcraft swap, "you traded a kia for a Lamborghini" and he sold us the starcraft!
debbie
1985 Avion 25H