Dangers of Acetone?

Shell/Exterior Maintenance, Windows, Gaskets, Awnings, Vent Lids/Covers, Rockguards
mtjarrett

Dangers of Acetone?

Post by mtjarrett »

I spent a lot of time reading about using acetone on anodized aluminum and specifically travel trailers with AA bodies. Seems to be conflicting opinions.

My Le Grande had what looked like smeared paint of some sort on the rear. I tried acetone to remove it and it seems to have done a great job and has given me a matte finish that I'm glad to have.

I'm curious if there will be long range repercussions before I go using acetone over the whole body. Has anyone done this? I really just want it cleaned up a little. Don't care that much other than to not have paint smears on it. If it is somewhat evenly oxidized, I'm fine with that.

Thanks
1977 28' Travelcader
78Silver28J

Re: Dangers of Acetone?

Post by 78Silver28J »

I personally wouldn’t worry about it. We use acetone to clean aluminum regularly in the aviation industry. While it needs to be treated as a potentially dangerous chemical and proper safety protocols taken it is benign on aluminum and the hard anodizing won’t be affected. I.e it won’t cause corrosion.
mtjarrett

Re: Dangers of Acetone?

Post by mtjarrett »

Thanks 78Silver28J .

Since I hadn't heard from anyone, I decided to employ the "do small patch and wait 6 weeks and see what happens." I'm glad to know the answer will probably be "nothing."
1977 28' Travelcader