31' or 28' Avion - Your opinion

A general discussion forum
mtjarrett

31' or 28' Avion - Your opinion

Post by mtjarrett »

I have a 1977 28' Travelcader and a 1976 31' Le Grande. Both need significant floor work and between the two there ought to be just enough elements to make one good travel trailer - the other I will either use as a mobile office or sell.

I'm trying to decide which one to make into the camper and which one to make into the office. The 31' is in better shape, but it too needs a lot of work. Both have the same layout, the added 3' seems to be mostly in the kitchen/storage between the beds and the living area.

I know that everyone has different needs and desires but I would love to hear from the community stories and reasons why one might choose one over the other.
1977 28' Travelcader
DJ18

Re: 31' or 28' Avion - Your opinion

Post by DJ18 »

I can give you my opinion, and it's not based on vast experience by any means. We have a 1985 25H, it says 7.9 meters on the side. It is the biggest camper we have ever owned.

How many people camping in the trailer would be the deciding factor for me. I believe the smallest camper you can get away with, the better. Easier to manage, fits more places, less weight to pull.

Having moved from really small campers; vans, class B, small Cs and short trailers, the 25H has more storage than I can bear to fill. We were always very weight conscious in our packing. I still don't see the necessity of packing all the comforts of home in my camper.

In many ways, I really miss my VW westfalia camper. and wish i'd kept it. So great for spur of the moment camping trips, squeezed into spots most people couldn't even turn around in.
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
mtjarrett

Post by mtjarrett »

Thanks Debbie. That's exactly the kind of thing I'm hoping to hear. How many are usually camping in your 25'?
1977 28' Travelcader
DJ18

Post by DJ18 »

well, usually the two of us and two standard dachshunds. but have had a few people spend the night on the couch. It will sleep two adults and two kids. But really is perfect for a couple. We have the floorplan with the one double bed in a rear bedroom. the front couch is really a wide twin or narrow double. all the beds are very comfortable.

I should have said I wish I'd kept the westfalia in addition to the Avion. I'd never trade the Avion for anything.
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
RISK

Post by RISK »

I love the 28’ that we have, it’s a great size for two adults, two young kids and a blue heeler.
Conversely, I am working on a friends 26H and I’ll have to say I’m a bit envious of the lack of two feet. Both trailers have the same rear bedroom layout and were built within a month of each other back in ‘78. 2’ doesn’t seem like much on paper but I think it opens up more possibilities for camping.

That said, unless one layout is more desirable I’d go with the shortest trailer you can fit comfortably in.

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

I am going to buck the system......

Since our 34W is what we have and have ever had, we like it just fine. When I acquired our truck, it was with a 34' Avion in mind. For our travels, it has not hindered us at all. I guess you just proceed accordingly. We like the added space, even for the two of us, but the added storage is very handy. We travel relatively lightly, but even if we go "more" or heavier, we never say, "Where are we going put it?"

I would recommend the larger of the two examples.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
DJ18

Post by DJ18 »

obviously, it depends on a lot of things! mtjarrett, you said it right, we all have different needs and uses. Both our sons have over 30' trailers. not Avions, but both families have newer trailers with slides and wouldn't want anything else. We have always chosen boon docking, exploring the wilderness kind of camping. when the 3 kids were home, we had a big pop up and really camped the wilderness experience. Our sons enjoy developed RV sites and we don't care much for the experience. Unless it is hot and we want to use the air, or have a mini reunions, we head for the dispersed areas. I love long exploring type of trips, my husband starts when we will get back before we leave. I need a baby avion for my own adventures.

I do believe any Avion has more storage and is easier to tow than any other kind of camper of what ever length it is.

so yeah, really there are a few things to consider. I know! make a list of pros and cons. you have both trailers, you will know best!
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

I would also LOVE to have a C-11 truck camper! And/or a Motorvator motorhome!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???