Ideas for header over main door?

Floor Repair, Inner Skins, Furnishings, Interior Finishes
pbsled

Ideas for header over main door?

Post by pbsled »

What solutions have you all done or suggest for creating a finished look for the missing piece that goes over the main door in the interior? I have a nice shade in place with some Tyvek and insulation just to keep the cold out for now. All my trim and cabinets are all painted white.
Attachments
3386F5CA-C93A-4232-90F3-0130F172DA95.jpeg
PbSled
"Mr. Eternabond"
1990 30P
2017 F-250 Reg. Cab
Razorback

Re: Ideas for header over main door?

Post by Razorback »

If I was needing to do that job, I would fashion a box out of a few scraps of pine since it would need to be painted white in this case. I imagine that the bulk of the time involved would be getting the radius correct for the back side that would be against the wall. Thinking of that..... Isn’t there a tool of some sort? Like a wide flat blade, but the blade is made up of metal pins that move in/out to take the shape of whatever you put it up against? Once the box was made, it could be secured to the wall along the existing ribs (follow the rivets) with some L-shaped brackets. Those brackets could be formed to first the curve of the wall.

Anyway, that’s what I thought of..... apart from the basic box, the front could be made as plain or as ornate as you want it.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
pbsled

Post by pbsled »

Very good suggestions. Thank you. Do you have a picture by chance of what the original design looks like?
PbSled
"Mr. Eternabond"
1990 30P
2017 F-250 Reg. Cab
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

pbsled wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:03 am Very good suggestions. Thank you. Do you have a picture by chance of what the original design looks like?
I don’t have one handy right now, but I might be able to get out to the Avion sometime after work this evening and take some pics.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
RISK

Post by RISK »

Unless I wanted to make a valance for the roller shade, I'd probably cut an anodized aluminum patch and paint to match the walls. Could tuck the bottom under the top of the door frame and Pop rivet the rest. You could make a template for the whole shebang, bring that to a metal shop and have them cut it if you don't want to do the shape yourself.

My trailer doesn't have anything above the door except the roller shade.

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

I went out to the trailer this morning to get a couple of pics of the original roller shade housing that we still have, although there is no roller shade in it. As you can see, I have one of those door window covers on ours.

One thing I realized: if you are fabricating something new to house a roller shade, you’ll need to be careful that it doesn’t stick out too far..... Too much and I can envision someone really whacking their forehead on it going out the door.

Thinking of this further: if I didn’t have these original pieces, I would consider covering that cavity with a piece of aluminum, as previously stated, and cover the window itself with something for privacy.

(I hope the pics are aligned properly.... never know with the phone.... if needed, I will fix them later on the laptop)
Attachments
DAC1F95F-A84B-426B-A1DD-48927EC696BD.jpeg
6FF63A58-D994-48F9-BF76-032FE331A257.jpeg
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
pbsled

Post by pbsled »

Thanks for the pics ... those are helpful. Might have some time at home if they close my schools to do some projects like this.
PbSled
"Mr. Eternabond"
1990 30P
2017 F-250 Reg. Cab
Overdrive

Post by Overdrive »

I just made a fiberglass mold of mine and made one out of fiberglass. My plastics were cracking. I haven’t finished it yet
Salty

Post by Salty »

Razorback wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:01 am Too much and I can envision someone really whacking their forehead on it going out the door.
Hell, for the first three months I owned this thing I wore the stamp of the doorway on my forehead. :oops:
worse than being on a submarine.

If you decide to put a roller shade in it, bring the entire assembly to where ever you're getting the shade cut. It'll save you a bunch of time. Ask me how I know.

If ever there was a time to contact Cayo, now would be it to see if he had replacement pieces.
Alternately, @pbsled, have a conversation with @overdrive to see if you couldn't work out a mutually beneficial solution.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.