Freshwater System, Grey and Black Tanks, LP Gas
Bub&Belle

Graywater tank repair

Post by Bub&Belle »

Ralph Bruno
'86 34W Silver Anniversary
Flinn Springs, CA

GRAY WATER TANK REPAIR
2" crack in bottom panel at low end corner beneath drainpipe outlet--Can I "plastic-weld" it with some type of compatible solvent glue? What do you recommend?
Razorback

Re: Graywater tank repair

Post by Razorback »

Hi, Ralph!

I have no experience with that, but I think there are some here that do. Hopefully they'll get back from the holiday weekend and give some input soon.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Salty

Post by Salty »

IT CAN BE DONE.
Supplies:
plastic window screen material
lacquer thinner
Adhesion promoter
1/8" drill bit
JB Weld Plastic Weld
120 grit sandpaper
Nitrile gloves
Scizzors
automotive painter mask w/ filters

Empty the tank
Drill a 1'8" hole at both ends of the crack. This prevents it from spreading further.
Cut a swath of screen 2 inches wide and long enough to fold over the affected area twice.
Wipe the patch area down with Lacquer thinner to remove any release agent, wax or grease
Scuff the area where the patch is to be applied with the sand paper, wipe down again and let dry.
Spray a mist of adhesion promoter onto the affected area. Follow the instructions on the can. Misting is important and time is critical
Mix the plastic weld and apply to the affected area. Lay the screen over it.
Apply more plastic weld and fold the screen over it. You should have two layers of screen over the crack, with an inch on either side of the crack.
Once you start misting the adhesion promoter, you'd best have the painters mask on, well ventilated or not. Wear the gloves for handling the glue. You'll need to be quick once you mist the last coat of adhesion promoter. I think the window for glue application is 10 minutes after the final coat and a 5 minute working time with the glue.
Follow the JB weld instructions for cure time.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Great post! Thank you, Salty!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Bub&Belle

Post by Bub&Belle »

Thanks Salty.
Next I'll renew the belly pan sections between the 3 axles. But will include inspection/access panels.

Bub& Belle
'86 34W Silver Anniversary
Flinn Springs, CA
Full-timer