1976 Avion LaGrande Windows

Anything related to what's happening with your Avion
Jrhunter826

1976 Avion LaGrande Windows

Post by Jrhunter826 »

Hi All,

I have a 76' LaGrande and all windows need to be resealed. I have no idea what to purchase and where to begin. Any advice would be helpful.
RISK

Re: 1976 Avion LaGrande Windows

Post by RISK »

<t>Hello there, welcome and congratulations on owning an Avion. Wise decision.<br/>
<br/>
While your question is a bit vague and pictures always help, I’ll give you the rundown on how I do it/have done it.<br/>
<br/>
Rule number 1 is don’t use off the shelf silicone caulk anywhere except the glass to frame. If you find silicone sealant on your trailer you have a bit of a road in front of you removing it. Let’s hope you don’t and go from there...<br/>
<br/>
Step one is to gather your supplies: <br/>
TremPro 635, ParBond and Capt Tolly’s are my go to sealants in order of size gap to fill from largest to smallest. You can order these from Vintage Trailer Supply among other places. I also use the best Black and Clear silicone caulk that can be gotten from a big box store but I find high end paint stores carry better products.<br/>
<br/>
A good degreaser/cleaner like Simple Green.<br/>
Old toothbrushes.<br/>
Dental syringes.<br/>
Old credit cards or hotel key cards.<br/>
A utility knife with fresh blades.<br/>
Mineral spirits.<br/>
Lots of rags and paper towels.<br/>
Blue painters tape.<br/>
Clothes you don’t mind ruining.<br/>
A 4-step ladder.<br/>
<br/>
Step two: start cleaning away all the nastiness around the frame where it meets the shell. Here I use the old credit cards/hotel key cards cut into various shapes and the old toothbrushes. Get it really clean and even try to undercut the old sealant a bit. I find a strip of key card cut into a shear point helpful here. Clean the bejebus out of this and degrease with cleaner then mineral spirits. The finish should resist your finger sliding across it.<br/>
<br/>
Here I meticulously tape off an 1/8” reveal on and around the frame. The better the tape job the cleaner the look. Decide whether to use parbond or TremPro here, if using TremPro I fill dental syringes with it and cut a bigger aperture in the tip. You’ll need less than you think and it gets everywhere. Smooth with a mineral spirit soaked finger ensuring it’s all up in that gap. When you are happy, remove the tape and smooth again lightly with your finger of choice.<br/>
<br/>
Step three: move on to the black gaskets that hold the fixed glass in. Clean clean clean. I use bamboo toothpicks for this as well as the toothbrushes. If the gaskets aren’t too dried up you can Tolly them, otherwise, this is where the black silicone comes into play. Again, I like the dental syringes for precision and minimal output. Smooth to you satisfaction.<br/>
<br/>
Step four: with the razor knife, slice off the old grey gasket that holds your opening windows to their frame. If they seem tight you can leave them but you might as well do it now. Again, try to undercut them a bit. This where clear silicone is used.

That’s about it, tedious and time consuming but a must for the health of your trailer.

Ian
</t>
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Great post, Ian! Very helpful!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
RISK

Post by RISK »

Thanks Paul.
We had some heavy rains a few days ago and the front window showed leaks so it’s fresh on my mind. Just when you think you’ve tackled them all...

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)
Jrhunter826

Post by Jrhunter826 »

Ian you are my favorite person! Thank you so much for your detailed information and supply list. Your post is providing me with a great foundation to move forward. I will keep you posted.