went to friendly local RV guy

DJ18

went to friendly local RV guy

Post by DJ18 »

There is a small independent rv business in Hatch NM that we go to when we need help with something. twice we had our brakes come on while going down the highway. both times, we unplugged the controller and plugged it back in a few times before the brakes stayed off and the readout was right side up. Last time it did it, I decided to get help. I didn't know if it was the brake controller or something else and I just wanted someone to fix it. Also, wanted them to check the water heater to see why it has a hard time staying lit. Anyway, they are open by appointment so we made one and I took it to them today. The controller had to have been bad. the difference in the way the truck and trailer brake together is great. I didn't know how bad the other one was till I drove around the parking lot and tested the braking. So much better! also he put on a new 7 pin plug and a new break away switch. On the water heater, he wiggled some wires, and it works. :?

while I was there waiting, I walked around and looked at their collection of old trailers. they had a couple of nice old Shasta's, a couple of old airstreams and a really, really cute silver stream. Old, but so cool. anyway, nice place to spend a morning.
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: went to friendly local RV guy

Post by KYAvion »

Glad you got it worked out. I had a Prodigy P3 controller that would occasionally lock the brakes when moving at really slow speeds. This happened awhile after owning the controller, and the company replaced it free of charge.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
RISK

Post by RISK »

KYAvion wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 12:03 pm Glad you got it worked out. I had a Prodigy P3 controller that would occasionally lock the brakes when moving at really slow speeds. This happened awhile after owning the controller, and the company replaced it free of charge.
That’s interesting as mine does that too occasionally at almost stopped speeds. I was thinking it was a brakes issue but it’s not consistent.

Thanks,
Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

This was at almost stopped speeds too. If I remember correctly, it would happen when going really slow and would be triggered by applying the brakes. Do you have a P3 as well? The only solution I had found was to disconnect and reconnect it.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
RISK

Post by RISK »

I think mine’s the P2, I’ll have to check. It doesn’t do it on any other trailer though which is why I think I need to dig into my brakes.

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)