brake controller

Axles and Suspension Systems, Brakes, Brake Controllers, Wheels, Tires
DJ18

brake controller

Post by DJ18 »

for the second time, our brake controller malfunctioned, causing some braking to be applied while driving on the highway. this time, we weren't in a snow storm, so it wasn't so scary. I noticed a subtle bouncing of the trailer, thought about a flat, looked down at the controller and it said 3.6. so I pulled over and unplugged it under the dash. plugged it back in after a while and the display was upside-down. so I unplugged it again, and when plugged back in, was right side up and it worked properly the rest of the time home.

it is a time delay, reese pilot. We also need to replace our break away switch.

when we replaced the tongue jack on the trailer, we realized the wiring really needed to be cleaned up, there are a lot of wires. some I believe are the sensor to rthe fresh and waste water tanks. I suppose we must take some time to sort everything out. I suppose we should go ahead and replace the brake controller and for sure clean up the wiring, replace the break away switch. all the lights work, the brakes work. but the brake controller is worrisome.
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
RISK

Re: brake controller

Post by RISK »

That is worrisome.

I have a Tundra and a Prodigy P2 brake controller and haven’t had any issues towing several different trailers.

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)
Salty

Re: brake controller

Post by Salty »

I feel your pain regarding the wiring. Bundles of rats nest knots which seem to not have any organization. Sadly, this is the industry standard, or at least the standard of the 80's.
Additionally, it would seem that color ink for the included schematic diagrams was too expensive to be bothered with, so tracing wires on the schematic requires intense focus.
If you two need help with the wiring, send me a PM. I've managed to figure most of it out.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.