Our "New" 1986 Silver Edition Avion 34V

A little about yourself
RISK

Re: Our "New" 1986 Silver Edition Avion 34V

Post by RISK »

KYAvion wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:48 pm Until now, I never paid attention that Vintage Trailer Supply categorizes Olympic Rivets as pop rivets...

https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/Ol ... ts-179.htm

As far as your Olympic rivets that leaked, do you think it’s possible they were installed without a sealant applied to the rivet? Or maybe they had the rubber washers and there was a failure to seal?
Olympic Rivets are essentially pop rivets, just more complex. Same tool to install them. Insert rivet in gun, squeeze and “pop” the mandrel off.

They were definitely installed without any sealant and there is no indication that the washer was installed with them. From the outside they look just like all the other rivets, tooled well and snug against the shell. The inside tells a different story however.

The regular Pop rivets that I mentioned, were also installed without sealant and show a much different outcome.

I’m in far West Texas at the moment practicing extreme social distancing (really just making photographs with my trailerCamera) and will take pictures when I return for you to see. It’s eye opening and they caused severe damage throughout the years.

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)
michellelegs

Post by michellelegs »

Thank you for your help with the rivets and I’m sorry I have not posted any pictures. I am a teacher who is learning how to teach virtually and it’s consumed all of my time that has not been spent in the Avion. It’s been one or the other... Today we removed the bathroom floor and realizEd that The flange is cracked by the black tank dump valve that is part of the tank. Any suggestions as to how to fix this or a vendor who can replace our black tank would be greatly appreciated!! We are also looking for a vendor to find handles for three of the hatches. Two have two L-shaped chrome handles and the other is just a key.
1986 34V Silver Edition
Salty

Post by Salty »

There is another school of thought. If you seal the seams with Eternabond then coat the roof with a rubbeized coating, then that takes care of the roof. It's a belt and suspenders approach.
Typical products used are ReRubber or Kool seal.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
michellelegs

Post by michellelegs »

The roof is good to go but today we have been having our first real rainstorm since we put all new rubber on all the windows. I'm seeing water in the tracks on left and right of a couple of the windows, water coming in the door window a little (need to source a new seal/gasket and/or window. Not sure why will all new rubber/gaskets on all windows why we're still seeing water. super frustrating.
1986 34V Silver Edition
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Is the water inside the window channel? Can you attach a pic showing where you see the water?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Salty

Post by Salty »

Glad you replaced the window glazing. By chance, did you happen to run a bead of silicone/Parbond/lexel around the outer edge of the window frame where it meets the skin?
Did you remove the A/C when you sealed the roof to get the seam beneath it?
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.