Alignment 1989 34XB info needed

Axles and Suspension Systems, Brakes, Brake Controllers, Wheels, Tires
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: Alignment 1989 34XB info needed

Post by KYAvion »

I am sorry to hear this. It will be interesting to hear what Lippert says. I just can’t imagine the axles being that far out of alignment. Does your shop have a lot of experience with torsion axles?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
pbsled

Post by pbsled »

You need to catch a break on this project I know. With 2 years and all the $ - you deserve to have this a hassle free and perfect. Your work has been top notch!

Do you happen to get a print out / spec sheet from the alignment machine / setup? The only main measurements in play on a torsion axle I think would be camber and toe-in, and the big one is of course making sure they are perpendicular to the centerline of the trailer (which is sounds like they are). General trailer target values are about 1/8" toe in, with maybe 1/4 positive camber, with this being specific to axle design and trailer loading. If you are way out with + 1/4" toe out from spec you will have tracking problems and will have tire scrubbing issues of course.

Just a wild thought, if there were past issues with the axles being flipped during design / construction on the jig - I wonder if they forget to reverse the toe-in and the front of the axle accidentally became the back on one or multiple units? If your measurements are symmetrical that might suggest a reversal somewhere in perspective by the fabricator, if the measurements on are askew / all over the place then it was .... well a mess.

Glad you have a local shop to help get this sorted, sounds like they have the right equipment so hopefully they can advocate for you to get some replacements put on.
PbSled
"Mr. Eternabond"
1990 30P
2017 F-250 Reg. Cab
ericlarson

Post by ericlarson »

Update To my axle replacement project as of today 3/20/2020.
On March 4th I sent email to Lippert executive. On March 6th he replied he was turning over my problem of the brand new axles being out of alignment to Customer service. I was impressed he replied so swiftly. MArch 15th I still had not heard from Lippert Customer Service so I sent another email to the executive. March 16th I was awakened by my phone ringing. It was 6AM PDT and I wasn't up yet. It was Lippert C.S. Dept and they left a message. Since then Lippert and I have been exchanging emails. I told Lippert that I am no expert about the axles and have been relying on local alignment shop professional for information. Yesterday (3/19) I sent an email that I trust will put the alignment shop and Lippert in direct communication.
I was pleasantly surprised when I received an email from Lippert earlier this week that stated they would be shipping out new axles to where I choose and they will pay to have them installed for me with no cost to me.
I am keeping my fingers crossed that the alignment shop and Lippert can coordinate the process so I can finally be able to hit the road and be a HAPPY CAMPER again.
pbsled

Post by pbsled »

That is amazing service .... especially under all the chaotic circumstances. Life goes on and glad that worked out.
PbSled
"Mr. Eternabond"
1990 30P
2017 F-250 Reg. Cab
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Great news! Keep us posted.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Wow!!!! That is what I call SERVICE!!!! (Even if it DID take working with the exec.... )
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
ericlarson

Post by ericlarson »

Razorback,
It often isn't what you know it's who you know. I try to get names/references when dealing with companies I am not familiar with. It sure is paying off with Lippert. I'll post update when this is finally resolved.
Be well y'all and wash your hands.
Eric Larson
slowmover

Post by slowmover »

Avoiding anything by LIPPERT is the best start.
1990 35’ Silver Streak Sterling
ericlarson

Post by ericlarson »

I feel like Christmas when I got my first bike.
Today Lippert Customer Service sent me an email. Here is what I read.

"Good morning Eric,

I will have these three axles sent out for you. I am also going to authorize 3 hours for labor to have these installed. I have put the case number in the subject line of this email. When the work is completed, the final invoices can be sent to this email thread for payment.

Thank you,
(Name Redacted)
Contact Center Technical Rep, Warranty"

Whoo Hoo!!! Perhaps my hope of being road worthy by June 1st will actually happen.
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Woo hoo!!!! That’s what I call “customer service” (regardless of how you got there).

Your gonna be singing “On The Road Again” before long!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???