Polishing the Avion

Shell/Exterior Maintenance, Windows, Gaskets, Awnings, Vent Lids/Covers, Rockguards
Salty

Polishing the Avion

Post by Salty »

So, I have resigned myself that the skin on my trailer will never win Best In Show. To that end however, my plan was to get it as clear as possible and then put a coat of Everbrite on it to protect it.
The photograph that follows is the result of the following steps:
1. Wet sand with 1500 grit on a DA.
2. Wet sand with 3000 grit on a DA
3. Polish with Nuvite G6
4, Polish with Nuvite F7
5. Polish with Nuvite IIC
6. Take a tooth brush to the rivets to clear them of any residual polish.
7. Wipe down the target area with lacquer thinner
8. Pour Everbrite into a metal dish and wipe on with soft cotton tee shirt material.
Results are below. Photo was taken while the Everbrite was still wet.
IMG_20200209_144708.jpg
Use caution with the 1500 grit, else you'll burn through the Anodized coating.
The Anodized coating on this ... trailer.. is so hard, that the Nuvite does not bite in and leave swirl marks. Short of burning through the Anodized layer, it won't. I tried. I won't describe the ways.
The rivets on the other hand, not being anodized, shine up nice.
You can see the difference in the skin on either side.
My trailer won't be Vogue quality, it'll be all about inner beauty.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: Polishing the Avion

Post by KYAvion »

Looking good. It’s too bad so many applications are needed to get your trailer ready for the Everbrite. Sounds like you’ve got a good system down though.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Salty

Post by Salty »

What you see there, total time was about 4 hours of labor. That still beats the amount of time it takes to Nuvite an Airstream by a long shot.
Yes, it's disappointing that I can't get rid of the milky discoloration on the skin without removing the anodize coating, however, to me, the alternative of removing the anodize layer and dealing with the corrosion that would occur later is unacceptable.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

When wet, what does the milky skin look like?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Salty

Post by Salty »

It looks ok when wet.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

I thought I had read that Everbrite achieves what the trailer looks like when wet. I guess that’s not the case? I know you’re not doing all this extra work for nothing. Maybe I had misread that Everbrite claim somewhere.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Salty

Post by Salty »

I had an issue with my everbrite application, :oops:
It was too cold out and the liquid was a bit thick and... in the end, I have to redo what I put on the other day.
I have done a 10 wide section with everbrite at the front at the curvature and it looks quite transparent and clear, not milky, which is heartening.
Next warmish day, I'll redo the side section before continuing on.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250