Avion pronunciation

A general discussion forum
flyte63

Avion pronunciation

Post by flyte63 »

"Ave-e-on" or "A-vee-on" ? I think it's not a big deal just like “tom-may-toe" and "too-mah-toe”, but what do folks here think regarding the pronunciation of these "al-lum-min-e-um" campers that we spend too much time thinking about and not enough time using. If you watch a bunch of you tube videos its all over the place.
Razorback

Re: Avion pronunciation

Post by Razorback »

I have always gone with A-vee-on
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
DJ18

Post by DJ18 »

I haven't been saying it long, but we too say Ai ve on. where I get confused is the A. is it a 'hard or soft' A?
I've heard "Ah vee on" and A vi on. and that's what I wonder about. but probably doesn't matter. it is a sparce group of people talking about them anyway.

Before our friends decided to sell theirs and asked if we wanted to buy it, I thought it was an airstream. it was only after research, I realized how different it is.

either way, I love it.
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
flyte63

Post by flyte63 »

Does anyone know how the Cayo family pronounces it? Seems like that would be a good reference, but then again regional pronunciation differences are pretty prevalent too.

Another reference would be french inspired pronunciation. A few days ago I saw an ad on TV for an Avion branded credit card, they pronounced it more like “Ave-e-on”. I think the card is only available in Canada, but the best part is their tag line is “Travel anywhere you want to go” which is very appropriate. I almost fell out of my chair when I heard the ad!
Salty

Post by Salty »

flyte63 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:48 pm Another reference would be french inspired pronunciation. A few days ago I saw an ad on TV for an Avion branded credit card, they pronounced it more like “Ave-e-on”. I think the card is only available in Canada, but the best part is their tag line is “Travel anywhere you want to go” which is very appropriate. I almost fell out of my chair when I heard the ad!
:D
I think I might exploit the language of the region where I was. So, In Quebec City, I might say a vi On (Imagine Tattoo of Fantasy Island in French "l'avion, patron. L'avion!")
Or Southern California A vee oN like Avionics
Not sure how I would fare in Mexico.
I don't recall Chuck Cayo correcting my pronunciation when I referred to my trailer as an A vee oN.

Anyway you slice it, bird, Plane, land yaht, they're lovely all the same - "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet"
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

As long as I don't hear, "Like an Airstream"...... I'm good....
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
DJ18

Post by DJ18 »

I have a bit to add here..
we were setting up for a few nights at a favorite spot. I was outside filling the fresh water tank when two people on bicycles rode by. One clearly said in what seemed to me a suitably respectful tone "look! its an Avion" He pronounced it "Ahh vion" and I was just fine with it! especially since when we passed their campsite, they were in an older Airstream.
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
Salty

Post by Salty »

Razorback wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:38 am As long as I don't hear, "Like an Airstream"...... I'm good....
+1
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
DJ18

Post by DJ18 »

being new to aluminum trailers, but always wanting one, I have no real strong dislike for any. yes, airstream tends to foster a silly superiority complex, an elitist attitude and tolerance for insane prices. but other than that, they are aluminum campers.

these bike riding airstream owners were very complimentary toward our Avion. ;)
debbie
1985 Avion 25H