Stabilizer Jack Parts

Shell/Exterior Maintenance, Windows, Gaskets, Awnings, Vent Lids/Covers, Rockguards
SilverEagle

Stabilizer Jack Parts

Post by SilverEagle »

I have a1984 Avion 30R with a stabilizer jack problem, a missing part. The part missing I am calling the "bearing sleeve" but not really sure what the correct name is. I am hoping someone can help me out. When I lower the leg, the nut at the end of the drive shaft unscrews and falls off. The attached picture is of one "bearing sleeve" that is still in place. This piece is missing on the problem stabilizer jack (back stabilizer on door side).

I have contacted JT Strong Arm and Colaw RV Salvage. JT Strong Arm said the part is out of date and I should have one made at a welding shop. Colaw said they did not have the part (which was a HUGE surprise to me). I'm hoping someone can tell me where I can buy the part (new or used) or should I just buy a whole new one? I hate to spend $70 on a $5 part.

SilverEagle
Attachments
stablizer jack 1.jpg
stablizer jack 2.jpg
silverloaf

Re: Stabilizer Jack Parts

Post by silverloaf »

Have you done an an Internet search for “Avion Trailer Used Parts”. I saw a few websites that mentioned used and salvage Avion parts.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
SilverEagle

Post by SilverEagle »

Thanks Silverloaf. Yes I've been surfing the internet for several days. Your suggestion HAS lead me to some more promising sites (but no winner yet). Maybe Monday.

I'm thinking about a little Texas Engineering. May drill a small hole through the end of the driveshaft then tie together with a cotter pen. But going to hold off on that till I am prepared to throw it in the trash. As you said "I've learned a thing or two because I've been fooled a time or two". Been fooled mostly by MY own foolishness.
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Try an Internet search using the term “bushing”. Bushings are pressed into an adjoining part to act as a wear surface for a rotating shaft. They are widely used in the machining, automotive and manufacturing industries.

There is a company called Production Tool Supply. They are nationwide. Graingers is another nationwide outfit to check out.

Lastly, if I recall, there should be a thin wear washer in front of the nut. There is a stop machined into the shaft which limits the nut’s travel. I also used a nut with a nylon thread locker as a precautionary measure.

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
SilverEagle

Post by SilverEagle »

Good plan Silverloaf. Found a zillion of them. I'll take the one off the good jack and run it over to Graingers. There's one about 15-20 miles from me. I'll let you know how it works out. (It'll be a few day, got the flu right now.)

Great Help.
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Here’s a pics of a stabilizer jack on our trailer. I think what you are missing is a torque-limiting bushing. It is T-shaped and is used to limit the torque applied by the nut. The sleeve butts up to a relief cut into the threaded drive rod

After the nut is tightened, the bushing provides sufficient clearance for the rod to rotate freely. You might be able to replicate the function and shape of the bushing using some different size washers.
9F34B988-6160-4F7C-AC9A-BBC45E08E2DB.jpeg
Attachments
B8B041CB-A47F-4DF1-9FDD-60F2B1F3FDC8.jpeg

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
SilverEagle

Post by SilverEagle »

Bob, I told you I would get back to you on my stabilizer jack issue. FINALLY I found time to go out an make the repair. With all the work I've done on my Avion and my 1977 GMC motorhome, I am extremely embarrassed to tell you what my problem was. But I say I would so here goes: It was a WASHER. Yep, after spending months looking for a mystery part, I took the shaft into Hilltop Travel Trailers. After I woundered all over the shop, the owner looks at it and says "you need a washer".

I have added this to a long list of things I will never live down!

Happy New Year,
FTHopkins
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Happens to the best of us!
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Salty

Post by Salty »

KYAvion wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:58 pm Happens to the best of us!
Ditto.
Just part of the amusing stories you'll tell your friends about RV repair.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

SilverEagle wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:16 pm Bob, I told you I would get back to you on my stabilizer jack issue. FINALLY I found time to go out an make the repair. With all the work I've done on my Avion and my 1977 GMC motorhome, I am extremely embarrassed to tell you what my problem was. But I say I would so here goes: It was a WASHER. Yep, after spending months looking for a mystery part, I took the shaft into Hilltop Travel Trailers. After I woundered all over the shop, the owner looks at it and says "you need a washer".

I have added this to a long list of things I will never live down!

Happy New Year,
FTHopkins
FT-
It’s better to miss a washer up front than having extra parts you can’t remember where they go!
I’m glad you can cross that one off the list.

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P