Which ski resorts allow travel trailers in their parking lots?

Anything related to traveling with an Avion
Golden Ears

Which ski resorts allow travel trailers in their parking lots?

Post by Golden Ears »

In Mammoth at Stump Alley parking area, I see lots of c class and pickup box campers, but never see a travel trailer. Do ski resorts outlaw travel trailers or are they just a bad choice for mountain roads. I have a 2017 Tesla Model X 90d with only a 5000lb tow rating.

I was hoping to find a 26' Avion with the closed cell insulation, and then strip out some of the heavier it ms like the propane / electric fridge and water heater, and try to get the trailer weight down to 3800lbs, also wondering where I should not try to remove weight to keep the trailer balanced. I intend to run the energy requirements of the trailer off the battery of the car. I would sleep in the rear of the Tesla at night and I have insulated window coverage that completely covers all glass. Why sleep in the car ??? because it's super quiet and the climate control is very exact even in 30 below zero temps also less need use propane to heat the coach. Water tanks wouldn't be used in winter. Low tech showering using 10 liter MSR dromedary bags while standing in a plastic tub in the shower.

Any thoughts on this? What ski areas don't hassle trailers?
Golden Ears

Re: Which ski resorts allow travel trailers in their parking lots?

Post by Golden Ears »

https://m.facebook.com/airstream/photos ... 80/?type=3

No I'm not a lunatic, but these people are taking it much further than I am willing.
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Welcome to the forum, Golden Ears!

Other than possibly outlawing them on snowy mountain roads, and not knowing the capabilities of the C-class motorhomes (are they 4WD?), the only one of the options you mentioned that I would consider would be a truck camper....... only if it was in the bed of a 4WD truck. I would love to have an Avion/Cayo truck camper, but I'm no ski bum and really can do without snow. I am not opposed to using a camper in cold weather, though. As I am typing this, we are near Branson in our Avion.... currently 29 clear degrees...... no snow.

Considering that people cannot be relied upon to do the safe thing without a law making them do it, maybe they DO outlaw travel trailers in those areas?
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

Golden Ears wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:51 am In Mammoth at Stump Alley parking area, I see lots of c class and pickup box campers, but never see a travel trailer. Do ski resorts outlaw travel trailers or are they just a bad choice for mountain roads. I have a 2017 Tesla Model X 90d with only a 5000lb tow rating.

I was hoping to find a 26' Avion with the closed cell insulation, and then strip out some of the heavier it ms like the propane / electric fridge and water heater, and try to get the trailer weight down to 3800lbs, also wondering where I should not try to remove weight to keep the trailer balanced. I intend to run the energy requirements of the trailer off the battery of the car. I would sleep in the rear of the Tesla at night and I have insulated window coverage that completely covers all glass. Why sleep in the car ??? because it's super quiet and the climate control is very exact even in 30 below zero temps also less need use propane to heat the coach. Water tanks wouldn't be used in winter. Low tech showering using 10 liter MSR dromedary bags while standing in a plastic tub in the shower.

Any thoughts on this? What ski areas don't hassle trailers?
Welcome to the forum Golden Ears!

I have wondered the same thing (as I ski sometimes). A friend of mine said one of their favorite resorts in NY state explicitly bans any type of RV (not just trailers). I have never towed in snow, but I would think it'd be very difficult, specially up and down the hills. Not sure there are any winter tires suitable for trailers. All terrain tires apparently are second best in snow after snow tires.

I think its smart of you to want to be within the ratings (IMO, nothing good comes out of ignoring specs). We have a 26 Avion that we love. Empty, it weighs about 5500#. I am not sure how you could reduce the weight to 3800# without turning it into an aluminium tent. My suggestion is to either get a 19' Avion (Those weigh about 3500# and are well within the tow rating of your Tesla), OR, if you want to a 26 footer, get a more capable tow vehicle. Also, the twin beds in our Avion are among the most comfortable beds I've ever slept it! And avions have spray on foam insulation and are among the best campers for winter camping.

Best of luck to you!
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5