New to the Avion world!

A little about yourself
chris.zelvis

New to the Avion world!

Post by chris.zelvis »

We just purchased a 1978 avion 26h. She looked great but upon undressing her we have discovered lots of wood rott. What I hoped was a freshen up has now turned to a full floor replacement to start with. I have been reading lots of posts and will need lots of advice moving forward. I appreciate the avion world and the sharing of information. Wish myself and my marriage good luck with the floor replacement project!
Razorback

Re: New to the Avion world!

Post by Razorback »

Hi, Chris..... welcome!

Congratulations on your Avion, but I'm sorry to hear of the floor issues. I wish I could say this was uncommon, but it's not. So many trailers are neglected over the years.... leaks start and are not addressed..... then someone comes along and either buys it knowing it has issues, or like you, finds out after the purchase that it has issues. I hope the previous owner didn't charge you a premium price, knowing it had a bad floor. How's the rest of the trailer?

I wish we had been able to help you in your search prior to purchase, but it is what it is...... you will find lots of good help here.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

chris.zelvis wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:30 am We just purchased a 1978 avion 26h. She looked great but upon undressing her we have discovered lots of wood rott. What I hoped was a freshen up has now turned to a full floor replacement to start with. I have been reading lots of posts and will need lots of advice moving forward. I appreciate the avion world and the sharing of information. Wish myself and my marriage good luck with the floor replacement project!
Welcome to the forum.

It’s interesting you mention the restoration effect on your marriage. Ours was the 1st time we have worked on remod project in 46 years of marriage. I should say it was 1st time I let my wife become an active participant in retro work.

We did quite well together. My job was the foundational elements while her’s was the interior design elements. Of course, there were overlaps that had us in the same place at the same time. Patience is golden.

A bigger factor was putting the trailer’s title in her name. Somehow working for a “higher authority” took the edge off my being the typical bull in a china shop.

Enjoy the moans and groans of your new venture. The 1st night in your newly refurbished trailer could be the most meaningful time of your life. Unless, of course, a sword fight is your only alternative!
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

chris.zelvis wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:30 am We just purchased a 1978 avion 26h. She looked great but upon undressing her we have discovered lots of wood rott. What I hoped was a freshen up has now turned to a full floor replacement to start with. I have been reading lots of posts and will need lots of advice moving forward. I appreciate the avion world and the sharing of information. Wish myself and my marriage good luck with the floor replacement project!
Welcome! Your experience mirrors ours. We bought a 1978 26H about five years ago. My plan was to clean the interior, install new flooring, and go camping. When I was cleaning the area under the bed/couch, I realized the floor had rotten. It is a horrible feeling. We hired a contractor as I work full time and did not have the time (nor all the necessary tools). They did a very good job. I then water proofed the trailer (Eternabond tape on roof, parbond sealer on seams, new window glazing, and new gasket for rear storage) and the trailer has been leak free since then (even though it sits outside with no cover or anything). So, long story short, you will be fine :)

Here is a photo of our Avion In Delaware Seashore State Park.
Attachments
IMG_6379.JPG
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5