Adding a Basement Storage to an Existing Trailer

A general discussion forum
Gypsy Wytch

Adding a Basement Storage to an Existing Trailer

Post by Gypsy Wytch »

Hi,
I was wondering how hard it would be to add a basement storage to a 34W (somewhat like the 34XB has).
Love your thoughts on this.
I love my 34W layout, and the curved windows front and back, which the basement models (XB-VB) do not have. So was pondering this, since those little outside storage areas don't hold much and aren't well insulated. And some folks put their litterboxes in their basement storage, so some work around for that for me would be awesome.

If everyone thinks it impossible or silly, then does anyone have pictures or a diagram of what is underneath there in the 34W? I am not seeing one online. I mean the layout of what is in there if one takes the belly pan off. It would be interesting to know, as I haven't ever had my trailer opened up under there. I have seen a few pictures of the flooring removed in some models, but that doesn't help me judge dimensions to tell me about space possibilities. Nice to have a small safe, too, similar to the 1986 model.

I fulltime with cats (a lot of cats) in a 1988 34W
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: Adding a Basement Storage to an Existing Trailer

Post by KYAvion »

I don’t think a small safe would be hard to do at all, and it’s something I’ve thought about doing in my 30R.

As far as basement storage, how much space do you want? My trailer sits up a little higher due to its aftermarket MorRyde suspension, so I’ve actually considered adding an extra storage compartment under the belly all the way across the trailer. One obvious place for this would be behind the entry step compartment, but accessed from the driver’s side. If I were to do this I’d recess it so the opening to the compartment was under the frame. I think doing it in this manner would look better aesthetically.

Or are you saying you want access to “basement” storage from inside the trailer?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Salty

Post by Salty »

Adding a simple basement storage compartment or converting a 34W to 34WB?

Define "Alot of cats"
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Gypsy Wytch

Post by Gypsy Wytch »

Thank you for the replies.
Yes, I was thinking of raising a 1988 34W up and putting a basement in to make it like the basement models. Flat floor inside, and some real size storage bays.
As far as I know, and I did look, there was no WB models, only XB and VB, or that would solve my question, except I want those curved windows still.
If making a basement isn't feasible, the alternative would be some sort of adjustment to make the little storage areas possibly deeper into the underneath the flooring part and more insulated? because as is they don't really hold much, or whatever I put in there rusts or gets damp. Would be nice to have slide out trays if can be done. Also then adding storage through the interior flooring, with some type of hatch openings. And a safe (since I fulltime, it would be nice to have important stuff in there, and out of the way). In that case, I would hope someone could post a picture or diagram of where the empty spots are underneath the flooring in a 34W (1988 is mine). It's hard to figure the possibilities on that since I'm unsure of the spaces under there.
KYAvion do you have a diagram of the underneath? Or do you know the spaces because you've had the belly pan off ? how big dimension wise would your extra storage be if you did what you were talking about?

Nine cats have me.
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

When at the lake during the summer, a diesel motorhome pulled up in the lot adjacent to me. After he parked he proceeded to open his storage bays and unload things. We had done the same, but unloaded from stuff strategically piled in the front of our Avion and from the rear of our Tahoe. I admit I was somewhat jealous of those storage bays and the ease at which he could stow things.

I can understand your desire for more storage and a “basement.” Your idea about lifting up the Avion shell to allow for more storage is an interesting one. I do seem to recall someone at Airforums doing something similar during a shell off restoration, but I believe their goal was to achieve more headroom. It’s the same concept though, but I don’t recall the specifics. He was, however, starting from a gutted trailer. Since you’re full time, you’d definitely need some longer temporary quarters. Giving Chuck Cayo a call would probably be a good idea to find out what you’re up against.

I don’t have any schematics of the area inside the belly. In my 30R, which has a center bath, the black and grey tanks are above the axles and the fresh water tank is forward a little. As far as adding storage beneath the frame, I’ll take a measurement next time I’m at my trailer. Essentially though, the depth would be about the same as the entry step box.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R