Fan motor burned out...

Water Heaters, Furnaces, Air Conditioners, Refrigerators, Ranges
RISK

Re: Fan motor burned out...

Post by RISK »

Okie dokey...

Spent about 2 hours driving all over Austin and ended up making a bunch of calls from the grainger parking lot. Figured I might as well call the Airstream dealer in Buda, just south of Austin. Typically way overpriced and really snobbish when I mention Avion, however, I must have gotten a good human on the phone as he spent some time with me talking about different fan motors (I have had to pay a premium for the honor of buying stuff from them so I don’t feel bad about some consultation time). He said he had a part that matched my description that is used in older Airstreams, wanted $100 for it. Thanked him as I realized, wait, I HAVE an older Airstream...

Cut to:

I’m in my Airstream (‘77) and I’m pulling out the fan motor from the galley exhaust, it looks 99% the same. I grab a 12v dewalt battery and test it, it works! Pretty squeaky and covered in decades of bacon fat and what not so I start cleaning it up with CorrosionX. Cleans up great and is running super quiet. Now to test the 2-speed aspect, BAM! It’s 2-speed! Awesome...
- it fits perfect, same size and mounting bolts
- it works great
- it spins clockwise... err... hang on. Which way does the one in the back go? CCW... farg. Try switching the wires around (which I know won’t work), nope. Still CW. Invert the fan blade? Doh, it’s the same but less efficient.

Finally call PartDeal who Paul linked to (the motor linked to spins CW) and have a nice chat with Tom. He’s really into helping find a suitable replacement and even sent a couple really handy spreadsheets that I forwarded to KYAvion. We ended up with two options: one that is the exact size everything but is only one speed but is reversible and another that has a slightly larger shaft (1/16”), is two speed and spins CCW. It’s a bit bigger overall but just may fit.

Linked in order below.

http://www.partdeal.com/red-dot-single- ... 91-0p.html

http://www.partdeal.com/red-dot-two-spe ... r0602.html

I can’t think of why I’d want incoming air and would rather have two speeds of exhaust.
I think I’ll try the 2nd one and bore out the fanblade hole + 1/16” if the motor looks to fit...

More to come.

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)
Salty

Post by Salty »

odd. I would have thought changing the polarity on a DC motor would change its' direction of rotation. No matter. Hope it works out for you.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
RISK

Post by RISK »

Salty wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:59 am odd. I would have thought changing the polarity on a DC motor would change its' direction of rotation. No matter. Hope it works out for you.
I was thinking the same thing initially, however, it’s a two speed fan with just two wires, one being for high and one being for low.

I bench tested to motors I pulled from my Airstream and while they look to be identical, they also only spin clockwise. Thus far I am still looking for a solution.

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

RISK wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:28 pm
Salty wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:59 am odd. I would have thought changing the polarity on a DC motor would change its' direction of rotation. No matter. Hope it works out for you.
I was thinking the same thing initially, however, it’s a two speed fan with just two wires, one being for high and one being for low.

I bench tested to motors I pulled from my Airstream and while they look to be identical, they also only spin clockwise. Thus far I am still looking for a solution.

Ian
Ian-

I replaced my range fan in 2017 with a module made by Fantastic Operating Products (FOP). It's called the SAM-1. It enabled me to retain the OEM deep hood. This 12v fan has 3 speeds and 2 LED light settings. I've included some pics below.

Unfortunately, it appears the company (located here in Michigan) is no longer in business. However, I do see them available on some eBay websites.

By the way, FOP used to make roof ventilators as well. They sold this portion of their business to Dometic some time ago. From what I've read, customer service under Dometic was never the same.
IMG_1663.JPG
IMG_1666.JPG
IMG_1798.JPG
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Salty

Post by Salty »

Sad. They made a great product and now Demented owns them.
http://www.fantasticvent.net/ has info on the vents. If you click on a product link it takes you to Adventure RV
http://www.adventurerv.net/fantastic-ve ... -6325.html

I believe that the SAM-1 was retained by FABULOUS OPERATING PRODUCTS
http://rvvent.com/fabulousoperatingproducts.htm
And sold the rest off to Demented.Or developed it after they sold off the Fan-Tastic portion of the business.
SAM-1 can be had here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fabulous-Opera ... :rk:6:pf:0
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

How loud is this new fan compared to the factory installed one? Any idea on the CFM moved as well?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
slowmover

Post by slowmover »

Ha! I just trashed one of the ceiling vent motors. When I pull the next two, of those three holes, I’ll offer them up. Have MAXXAIR auto/close to go in
1990 35’ Silver Streak Sterling
RISK

Post by RISK »

I believe I forgot to post my resolution to this thread.

Back in spring, I was camping with my son out at Blanco State park and lo and behold, the only other vintage aluminum tt was an Avion.

We toured each other’s coaches and I told him about the fan motor. Well a month or so later he sent me the entire old fan assembly with a working motor.

That’s how I resolved it, dumb luck.

A month or so after that he sent me all his old curtains which were in fabulous shape and weren’t of the French provincial whore house variety.

He’s coming back to Texas and I plan to meet up with him and cook him a big juicy steak dinner along side a stellar bottle of wine.

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
Salty

Post by Salty »

RISK wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:22 pm A month or so after that he sent me all his old curtains which were in fabulous shape and weren’t of the French provincial whore house variety.
Ian
Well now that's a shame. You could have opened an interesting side business.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

How nice is that. Plus curtains of a design other than the French provincial whore house variety.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R