1981 34V

Anything related to what's happening with your Avion
Mark R. Obtinario

1981 34V

Post by Mark R. Obtinario »

We purchased our 1981 34V at a very low price. Timing played a big part as the summer was just about over and the odds of selling during the winter go way down. I was also able to low ball the price because I figured that since they didn't have the water, electric, propane, or batteries hooked up there were some systems that needed work. The fact the last time it had been licensed was nine years previously helped me to low ball the price.

The first thing I had to do was fix a water leak where a line had come loose at the pressure regulator behind the converter and next to the hot water heater--pull the floor out of the bathroom closet and then stand on your head to reach what needs fixing.

I had to replace the fridge since it was obviously a non-operating unit--all of the guts were taken about in the back and I had no idea if everything was there or not. I didn't want to spend the $$$$ for an RV fridge so I purchased a $200.00 fridge that only works on shore power.

Of course I had to repack the bearings as most of them had little or no grease left in them.

Since all of the tires still held air and no cord or really bad weather checking was in evidence I didn't replace the tires right away since the budget was pretty much used up with the purchase.

At that point we were in business and used it a couple of times before the summer was over and really enjoyed the luxury of having so much space in which to spread out.

The next summer the hot water heater wouldn't stop heating. We came back to the trailer to see steam and hot water coming out the relief valve. We finished the week by only turning the hot water heater on when we needed it--the hot water got really hot so you didn't need to use a lot. Replacing the hot water heater was very straight forward and fairly easy. It wasn't the first time the hot water heater had been changed out--the fittings on the gas and water lines were not the factory type of fittings.

That fall I purchased new tires and batteries prior to taking the 34V to Disneyland at Christmas. On the way we discovered the furnace no longer was working properly. Since I kept a little 1,500 watt heater in the trailer to keep the moisture level down inside during the winter we still had heat. From that experience we decided we didn't really need to worry about the furnace as that little 1,500 watt heater can get the inside of our 34V warmer than we like it.

The next spring as I was getting the 34V ready for summer I discovered the 110-VAC plugs were no longer working. Through a process of elimination I discovered a wire had broken somewhere between the kitchen and the plug in at the right front of the trailer. The odds of fishing a new wire through was slim to none so I installed a surface mount conduit and bypassed the broken wire--we now have juice in all of the plugs and since I had the plug ins out and disconnected I replaced them all with new plug ins.

In 2016 we embarked on what we refer to as our epic journey. We went from our home in WA state to see the grandparents in MI, a convention in Cincinnati, OH, and all points in between. While we were in the Badlands of SD we were in the edge of a tornado. Somehow it got under the fabric of our long curb side Zip Dee awning and pulled the fabric out. When the wind relaxed the fabric proceeded to roll around the ends of the roller tube. Since all of the seams were ripped out we ended up cutting the fabric off and using duct tape to hold the metal cover down--except for the $100.00 deductible our Farmers Insurance policy paid to replace and install the new fabric. We had trouble with one tire on the way home while we were in NE. We blew the engine up in our 1993 K2500 Suburban as we were going through Rock Springs, WY. On that trip we discovered that as long as you didn't open the fridge very much it would keep our cold stuff cold including the ice so the fact it was a 110-VAC only fridge wasn't a problem. We had quite the tour across our country and we are ready to search out new adventures.

All across the country on our epic journey our original equipment Duo-Therm roof top A/C unit groaned and complained very loudly but it still cooled the 34V down to comfortable levels regardless of the ambient temperature outside. The first trip the following summer it really started to protest and then you could hear that a bearing must have seized up because you could hear the sound of the motor trying to turn but no compressor was turning. We replaced it with a new Dometic 15,000 BTU unit that not only cools better on low speed than the Duo-Therm did on high speed it does it with about half the noise level inside and barely noticeable sound outside.

Last year the only problems I encountered were with the power jack--it would go down but not up. Since it happened on the last trip last fall I didn't worry too much about it. This spring I started to be try and figure out what was wrong. After new switches and several phone calls hasn't fixed it I am going to be sending the power head back to H&H Engineering/Barker Manufacturing for their service department to wave their hands over it. There is so little to go wrong I can't feature what I am doing wrong to not get it working again.

On our first trip this summer my 5-year old batteries just didn't have it in them to power stuff up properly so I replaced them with two new Group 24 Interstate deep cycle batteries. I will need to be better about checking the fluid level in the cells from now on.

On our second trip this summer the original equipment Magic Chef microwave died. What went wrong I have no idea but since you can purchase at Wal-Mart new microwaves for under $100.00 with twice as much wattage I decided to not mess around and just replaced it. It required some remodeling of the microwave cabinet which also meant I was able to more easily replace the bottom of the cabinet above the fridge--all I can figure is the top of the original fridge was the bottom of the cabinet because I could see no evidence of a cabinet bottom. We now have a Hamilton Beach microwave that has more power than the one we have on the counter in the kitchen in the house.

Last weekend in the middle of the weekend the toilet decided to stop flowing water. Since figuring out what might be wrong will require removing the toilet the plan is to just replace the current toilet with something a little taller. The labor will cost the same and higher off the floor is a good thing. Until that happens we will just use a bucket to pour water into the bowl to flush.

The original asking price for our 34V was $10,000.00. By the time I went to look at it the asking price had gone down to $7,000.00. With all that I knew was wrong and probably wrong I was able to get the 34V for $3,500.00. Since that time between one thing and another I have put at least $3,500.00 in parts and pieces back into it. With the wear and tear of six years of camping at least 20 days each year there are some other areas that will need attention soon. But what has amazed me is how well it is all still holding together. Even with it a bit tatty around the edges it is still in better condition than many three or four year old RV's you see in the campgrounds.
Razorback

Re: 1981 34V

Post by Razorback »

Great story, Mark. It sounds like you have done your share of work to your Avion, made it “yours”, and have kept it on the road. You sound like us..... you thoroughly enjoy your Avion! Even though things need attention from time to time, I agree with you that the Avions are beautiful and hold up better than anything out there. Most anything you’d buy today will have long been in the scrap heap when they are 30-40 years old.
(It’s hard to believe, but the newest silver Avion travel trailers are 30 years old this year!!!)
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???