EVERBRITE

Shell/Exterior Maintenance, Windows, Gaskets, Awnings, Vent Lids/Covers, Rockguards
Johnatron

Re: EVERBRITE

Post by Johnatron »

Hi @Becky B.! I really like how your Avion shined up after the Everbrite application. I read your post in regards to your experiences. I’m gearing up to do the same, so I got a few questions. I’ve heard that Bon Ami is a popular choice for cleaning the oxidation and contaminants. Your thoughts? What kind of scotchbrite pads did you use? Could you post a pic please? And how did you go about dispersing the coating(in other words, did you pour a little bit at a time in the tray, then dab the pad in, and do like a 2x2 section? Any other advice would be fealty appreciated!

Thank you,
Johnatron
1981 34V
Becky B.

Post by Becky B. »

Well, I used a metal pan to put some in at a time instead of straight out of the can. I used a piece of t-shirt cloth folded up & totally saturated to apply it. I went from the top down, moved it over & went from the bottom to the top. I just read of a lady on the Facebook page who was very unhappy with it, so apply at your own risk. I used scotchbrite very fine grey pads on a random orbit polisher, which is also a risky thing. In fact, I recently decided to redo my door, since I didn't get the oxidation off far enough to my satisfaction before applying Everbrite. I stupidly used a polisher that wasn't random orbit & burned through the anodizing layer. I will probably put another coat on this summer. I feel like it's better than applying WD40 all the time, but that's just me....
Last edited by Becky B. on Sun May 05, 2019 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Becky B.

Post by Becky B. »

one is before, the other (with new awnings) is after Everbrite
Attachments
1363.JPG
IMG_0833.JPG
IMG_0842.JPG
Johnatron

Post by Johnatron »

Thanks for the insight. I did a small section to test it out... I like how it cleans up. It didn’t do much for the oxidation, though. But I did run across a post about repairing that.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142/co ... 3-103.html

Here’s a pic of my handy work...Did it by hand, and thankfully it didn’t take too much to clean. Gonna do the rest next week, gotta clean up and reseal the seams first.
Attachments
EADBD51B-BC2E-44F5-B69E-B2681628A605.jpeg
1981 34V
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Did you try the Bon Ami for the oxidation?

What page in your link were you referring to above?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

Hi, would anyone be able to post a picture of oxidation on their shell? I just want to make sure I understand correctly what you are referring to. Thanks!
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
Johnatron

Post by Johnatron »

KYAvion wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:38 am Did you try the Bon Ami for the oxidation?

What page in your link were you referring to above?
I did use the Bon Ami. It works very well for general cleaning. But not so much for the places where water was constantly dripping. Pic below. There are a couple other spots that are far worse. (Didn’t get a pic of that) I’m reluctant to use a R.O. Polisher, as I don’t want to burn through the anodized layer. Perhaps I’m being too cautious?

The link is meant to direct anyone towards a possible solution for dealing with said oxidation. The page it pulls up shows a bit of insight as to the process. Basically, it explains sanding down the ugly spots, spray painting, then clearcoating.
Attachments
C0F0FA2B-50EA-4AE9-A24E-BC7D9CE738E8.jpeg
1981 34V
Johnatron

Post by Johnatron »

Rostam wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:40 am Hi, would anyone be able to post a picture of oxidation on their shell? I just want to make sure I understand correctly what you are referring to. Thanks!
See the above for a pic. There are a couple of other spots that are far worse. I’ll post those pics when I can.
1981 34V
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

Thank you!
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
RISK

Post by RISK »

You may want try CorrosionX and a scotch brite pad. Did wonders on my Silver Streak.
The pic above almost looks like galvanic corrosion due to dissimilar metals.

My Avion has a limited edition, only a hundred made (according to chuck Cayo) super bright skin that seems to be immune to this stuff.

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)