EVERBRITE

Shell/Exterior Maintenance, Windows, Gaskets, Awnings, Vent Lids/Covers, Rockguards
Salty

EVERBRITE

Post by Salty »

Has anyone here used Everbrite coating on their Avion?
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: EVERBRITE

Post by KYAvion »

@Becky B. has and she had great results.

What were you wondering about it?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Salty

Post by Salty »

How effective it is and how much is required (gallon? 2 gallons?)
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Becky B.

Post by Becky B. »

I have coated two Avions with Everbrite. A 30' and a 32'. I believe they each took a bit more than a quart to cover two coats. I sold the 30' to purchase the 32'. The first step is to clean the trailer exterior really well! I used a random orbit polisher with a grey very fine scotchbrite pad on it. It took off most of the oxidation that way. I tried all the other suggestions (ie Bonami, Super Simple Green, etc) but found this to remove the most off my really badly oxidized trailer. After that, I wiped the whole thing down with lacquer thinner. Then I put some Everbrite in a bread pan from the dollar store (it will eat up plastic). I used folded cotton rags to apply. I tried all the suggestions on the can, but found the folded t-shirt rags to do the best, most controlled job. The prep work takes the most time. Applying is fast. I did mine up & down, not lengthwise. You don't want to have the path that you just took getting sticky, so when you do the next row, it will blend in nicely. Don't put it on plastic. It never dries (ask me how I know). If you get a scratch, you can just go over it again later. Do your second coat after it is thoroughly dry (like at least a day). Mine has been on for 2 years & looks good yet. It's a little more work than WD40, but LASTS!! (that's my menfolk after they put my awning on!) The last pic has no Everbrite applied in the hatch section. You can see the difference.
Attachments
IMG_0842.JPG
IMG_0843.JPG
IMG_0833.JPG
IMG_0255.JPG
IMG_0241.JPG
Becky B.

Post by Becky B. »

...and don't do it on a windy day (bugs and dust will stick to it) and don't do it in the sun if possible. Cooler weather is better.
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Looks amazing. What did you do as far as your Avion decals? Remove them and then put new ones on after applying Everbrite?

In terms of the Everbrite that got on plastic and didn’t dry or ate those areas up (or rubber too like the screw covers?), what did you use to remove the substance from those areas?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Salty

Post by Salty »

So you didn't use the everbrite de-oxidizing cleaner?
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Salty

Post by Salty »

So you didn't use the everbrite de-oxidizing cleaner?
How long to dry/cure?
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Becky B.

Post by Becky B. »

I let it dry a few days before putting a second coat on. Took me a couple years to respond to this question! The Everbrite has held up very well, but I may put another coat on this summer and redo my door. I didn't get my door clean enough to my liking before coating it, so I want to do it over. Hopefully, I can get the Everbrite off with xylene. I've heard it's very hard to remove!
Becky B.

Post by Becky B. »

I learned from the first time around not to put Everbrite on plastics. It never dries & is always sticky. If you get it on, just with it off with xylene.