Rv hauling contractors and any firsthand experience Cayo

Anything related to what's happening with your Avion
silverbird

Rv hauling contractors and any firsthand experience Cayo

Post by silverbird »

The general consensus is that I have Cayo's work on this Avion...so my next questions are...
1) Has anyone here has firsthand experience with repair work done at Cayo's, or known of anyone who did?
2) I need to find someone reputable to transport the trailer both ways..Any input on that?

Thanks.
silverloaf

Re: Rv hauling contractors and any firsthand experience Cayo

Post by silverloaf »

silverbird wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:04 pm The general consensus is that I have Cayo's work on this Avion...so my next questions are...
1) Has anyone here has firsthand experience with repair work done at Cayo's, or known of anyone who did?
2) I need to find someone reputable to transport the trailer both ways..Any input on that?

Thanks.
Silverbird-

We were newbies to both travel trailers and Avion when we purchased our '88 30P last year. During the course of restoring our trailer, I casually took a picture of the front of our trailer and sent it though the forum. I believe it was Razorback who commented about a supplemental shield along the bottom of the skin. It seems a previous owner had crushed the front corner. Chuck made the repair and installed the aluminum panel.

I had no clue. The repair was so good that it looked almost original. I spent 40 years in the automotive industry, including some work in autobody refinishing. The repair sure fooled me.

I have seen Chuck's shop. It isn't much to look at. But he usually has a 6-month wait list for clients needing work done on their Avion. The challenge for you isn't whether he can do it but when he can do it. Remember that Avions are a breed unto themselves. Don't expect an Airstream repair shop to do a good repair simply because the skin shape and material are similar to an Avion.

You should know that Chuck's shop charges roughly $100/hr. labor. That's about $30-50 less than the prevailing rate of places like Camping World, etc.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
silverbird

Post by silverbird »

silverloaf wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:42 pm
silverbird wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:04 pm The general consensus is that I have Cayo's work on this Avion...so my next questions are...

Thanks.
Silverbird-

We were newbies to both travel trailers and Avion when we purchased our '88 30P last year. During the course of restoring our trailer, I casually took a picture of the front of our trailer and sent it though the forum. I believe it was Razorback who commented about a supplemental shield along the bottom of the skin. It seems a previous owner had crushed the front corner. Chuck made the repair and installed the aluminum panel.

I had no clue. The repair was so good that it looked almost original. I spent 40 years in the automotive industry, including some work in autobody refinishing. The repair sure fooled me.

I have seen Chuck's shop. It isn't much to look at. But he usually has a 6-month wait list for clients needing work done on their Avion. The challenge for you isn't whether he can do it but when he can do it. Remember that Avions are a breed unto themselves. Don't expect an Airstream repair shop to do a good repair simply because the skin shape and material are similar to an Avion.

You should know that Chuck's shop charges roughly $100/hr. labor. That's about $30-50 less than the prevailing rate of places like Camping World, etc.
Silverloaf, that is excellent and most appreciated info! I had no idea Avions were a breed unto themselves and that in some cases it really does take an expert. Thank you for your response which has convinced me that I need to get this trailer to him. The front window was definitely compromised in one way or another and hearing your story gives me the much-needed nudge to get it down there. Thank you also for the details regarding his shop and prices..all the little details make all the difference. I could imagine myself losing confidence, perhaps, if I spent time energy and money getting there only to feel underwhelmed. And having an idea that f what he charges (less than Camping World??) is useful info also. What a great community this is.
Salty

Post by Salty »

My first hand experience started with a phone call to order a new skin panel for my Avion. Shortly after, my work brought me to Michigan for a few days. While I was there I made a short trip to Watervliet to visit Cayo. Silverloaf is quite correct, the shop doesn't look like much, but while I was there, I purchased a few things for the trailer and spent a couple hours learning about my trailer and picking Chuck's brain. Aside from seeing pictures of his work - all quite good - if you pick up the phone and call, oh say at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon - he will answer your questions calmly and patiently as if you were his only customer - ask me how I know. . Additionally, I have not heard a single bad word about any work that has been done there.
Should you go there I suggest two things :
Meet Lucky
As a change of pace, ask him about the motor in the entry way.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
silverbird

Post by silverbird »

Salty wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:08 am My first hand experience started with a phone call to order a new skin panel for my Avion. Shortly after, my work brought me to Michigan for a few days. While I was there I made a short trip to Watervliet to visit Cayo. Silverloaf is quite correct, the shop doesn't look like much, but while I was there, I purchased a few things for the trailer and spent a couple hours learning about my trailer and picking Chuck's brain. Aside from seeing pictures of his work - all quite good - if you pick up the phone and call, oh say at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon - he will answer your questions calmly and patiently as if you were his only customer - ask me how I know. . Additionally, I have not heard a single bad word about any work that has been done there.
Should you go there I suggest two things :
Meet Lucky
As a change of pace, ask him about the motor in the entry way.
Ok, I'm starting to get really curious about Cayos place now! Dr. Gradeless (I contacted

via email) asked me to tell Chuck "hi" from him whenever I talk to Chuck..now I'm supposed to meet Lucky and ask about the motor...hmmmm.. Sounds like an interesting place :)

I may need to leave the trailer there all winter...would it be safe?
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Chuck is not one to return voicemails. The best time to reach him is mornings. Keep trying until you get a live voice.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
david.freed

Post by david.freed »

Chuck reskined the door, replaced a side panel and added an air conditioner to my 1961 T-20. I was very happy with his work. Dave
Dave, 1961 T-20, 2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7L