C10 Truck Camper in NY

A little about yourself
flyte63

C10 Truck Camper in NY

Post by flyte63 »

Hi, we are new owners of a Avion C10 truck camper, we live in western NY state and have been camping and attending vintage rallies with a 1963 Shasta that we restored for the past 10 years. I'll post occasional updates on our blog for the progress of our C10 restoration as we go. We don't expect to go very fast on this project, but are super excited!

Already learning lots of useful stuff from this forum, thanks to all who post!

-Don
http://flyte63.blogspot.com
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: C10 Truck Camper in NY

Post by KYAvion »

Welcome to the site. Nice blog btw!
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Sawmiller

Post by Sawmiller »

Very nice project! Looking forward to seeing what happens next.
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

flyte63 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:04 pm Hi, we are new owners of a Avion C10 truck camper, we live in western NY state and have been camping and attending vintage rallies with a 1963 Shasta that we restored for the past 10 years. I'll post occasional updates on our blog for the progress of our C10 restoration as we go. We don't expect to go very fast on this project, but are super excited!

Already learning lots of useful stuff from this forum, thanks to all who post!

-Don
http://flyte63.blogspot.com
Don,

Welcome to the forum. I grew up in East Amherst. Ted's Hot Dogs and roast beef-on-wick were all-time favorites!
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Welcome to the forum, Don! Your blog was an interesting read...... you did a great job of getting that C10 home!

I look forward to following the project.

My dad’s side of the family is from wayyyyy western NY.... in the Ripley/Sherman area just east of Erie, PA. Depending on the route you took home, maybe on NY Rte 20 or I-90, if you knew where to look you would have seen my grandparent’s old house on the east end of Ripley. I spent several summers in that area on relative’s dairy farms between Ripley and Sherman. I really love that countryside...... in the summer! If money was no object, I would have a summer home on the hill above Ripley or Westfield overlooking Lake Erie.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Razorback wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:30 am Welcome to the forum, Don! Your blog was an interesting read...... you did a great job of getting that C10 home!

I look forward to following the project.

My dad’s side of the family is from wayyyyy western NY.... in the Ripley/Sherman area just east of Erie, PA. Depending on the route you took home, maybe on NY Rte 20 or I-90, if you knew where to look you would have seen my grandparent’s old house on the east end of Ripley. I spent several summers in that area on relative’s dairy farms between Ripley and Sherman. I really love that countryside...... in the summer! If money was no object, I would have a summer home on the hill above Ripley or Westfield overlooking Lake Erie.
Interesting story. Having grown up in Western New York (Buffalo area), I vividly remember the heavy snow of the Ripley/Westfield area. Route 20 was the primary road along Lake Erie at that time; the western segment of I-90 (NYS Thruway) wasn't completed until 1957.

The kitchen radio would often cackle with news of road closures from 3-4ft deep snow. Lake-effect snow was the worst because North winds pulverized it into a dense and hard-packed mass.

Lovely to look at....brutal to live.

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Funny you should mention the brutal snows.....

A cousin of mine that used to have his dairy at Findley Lake, NY moved the dairy to Muleshoe, TX due to weather, EPA, and NY taxes..... now milking 2500 in Texas!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
flyte63

Post by flyte63 »

Overdue for a visit to Teds Hot Dogs and my wife’s family had a house on the West end of Ripley that you can also see from I-90 or 20. Small world!
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

https://m.facebook.com/meedersrestaurant/

Another great place there!

This used to be my grandparent’s house.... Grandpa moved that house himself when Hwy 20 was being rerouted a bit.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandho ... 6919-32994
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

flyte63 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:03 am Overdue for a visit to Teds Hot Dogs and my wife’s family had a house on the West end of Ripley that you can also see from I-90 or 20. Small world!
I loved Teds. Their curly-cue onion rings were the bomb.

Here’s a story: my dad sold corrugated boxes to hot dog-makers Sahlens and Malecki. Sahlens was the supplier to Teds. Then they switched to Malecki. We stopped going to Teds because Dad knew what Malecki was putting in their hot dogs while touring their plant. It took roughly 2 years before Teds wised up and re-sourced to Sahlens. Only then did we go back to Teds.

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P