Our First Trip Under our Belts

Anything related to traveling with an Avion
MNash56

Our First Trip Under our Belts

Post by MNash56 »

We've been tent campers for years, especially when our kids were young. I bought our first trailer last year; an Avion 19' Suntrail Sport Special named Lucy. Initially bought it to park at our weekend property for extra sleeping quarters. But when I realized what great shape it was in I just had to put it back on the road this summer. This coincided with my wife's desire to see the Grand Canyon for our 40th anniversary. After having the running gear inspected and serviced and a few other minor upgrades completed we set out on our 4000 mile, 2 week maiden voyage.

We left WI and headed thru Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado and into Utah and Arizona.

We camped 1 night in Goblin Valley State Park in UT.
fullsizeoutput_3d91.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_3d91.jpeg (61.65 KiB) Viewed 5792 times
fullsizeoutput_3d9d.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_3d9d.jpeg (57.36 KiB) Viewed 5792 times
Next we made our way Kodachrome State Park near Bryce Canyon. Can't speak highly enough of this campground. Great showers and bathroom facilities and large, fairly private sites. Easy access to both Bryce and Zion.
sI84Y7QfQWaIFXPH9Jswpw.jpg
sI84Y7QfQWaIFXPH9Jswpw.jpg (57.21 KiB) Viewed 5792 times
MM1yH5n+THOz4d2dO1JEDw.jpg
MM1yH5n+THOz4d2dO1JEDw.jpg (89.46 KiB) Viewed 5792 times
Finally we headed to the Kaibab Plateau and the North Rim of the GC.On the way we experienced our only mechanical issue. With the engine misfiring and my CEL blinking we limped into Kanab on a Sunday afternoon hoping to find a quick fix the next day. If you're ever looking for a great mechanic near Kanab you can't go wrong with Ramsay Towing and Service Center. I brought the F150 into them at 7:30 and by 11 they had diagnosed a cracked spark plug and had us back on the road for a reasonable price.

We camped at Kaibab Camper Village in Jacob Lake. Closest full hookup facility near the North Rim. Had a wonderful 3 days of hiking and just taking it all in.
BtiQxvhnTnyolKKg4eul0w.jpg
BtiQxvhnTnyolKKg4eul0w.jpg (98.2 KiB) Viewed 5792 times
GeHeV%WjTQCLPf708q8OmA.jpg
GeHeV%WjTQCLPf708q8OmA.jpg (77.46 KiB) Viewed 5792 times
All in all it was a great trip. Lucy pulled great and she always got looks and comments wherever we went. Seeing her on the road just made me smile.

Thanks for all the help I received here getting her ready for the road and all the best for your adventures.

mark
Mark Nash
1970 19' Suntrail Sport Special
Razorback

Re: Our First Trip Under our Belts

Post by Razorback »

Hey, Mark, that sounds like a fun, enjoyable trip, even with the spark plug issue..... all part of the adventure!
Congratulations on your 40th anniversary!
I LOVE the Suntrail! What a great example of a classic! You sure don't see those very often, and I am glad you put yours back on the road. Here's to many more wonderful miles and memories! Thank you for the nice pictures!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Salty

Post by Salty »

40 years! WOW, Congratulations.
I don't suppose you named it Lucy after the movie in with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnez, did you?
Regardless, nice pics and good to see this classic still on the road.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
MNash56

Post by MNash56 »

She was named when we bought her. Yes, after the movie. Just inside the door, where the furnace used to be, is a reproduction of the movie poster. I promised the previous owner we wouldn’t change her name. It suits her.
Mark Nash
1970 19' Suntrail Sport Special
Salty

Post by Salty »

Applause Applause Applause!!
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.