Get certified

A general discussion forum
Tarnished

Get certified

Post by Tarnished »

There are a few members here that are going to disagree with me. Here goes.
A truck driver, bus driver etc all have CDL licenses. Why is Joe Blow allowed to
tow a 25 to 35 foot trailer weighing from 5 to 15 thousand lbs on a regular license?
With maybe a truck that underwent a cursory inspection last year? By a buddy.
Exactly what qualifies JB to tow a load for himself but were it for a commercial
operation would require a heck of a lot of instruction and experience? I can't count on my fingers and toes people trying to park their trailers, back them up etc that were
quite inept. I'm not that great myself. Towing 10 or15k miles a year is no where near 15k a month. Frequently in private campgrounds I'm asked if I need help backing in. Gotta
be a reason for their offer.
Should anyone towing a trailer with brakes undergo training, testing, for an additional driving license? Something short of a CDL but more then a standard license?
Rostam

Re: Get certified

Post by Rostam »

While I am against unreasonable regulation, this actually seems reasonable, at least to me. I think requiring a CDL might be too much. However, IMO it would be a good idea to have recreational towing applicants read a short introduction to towing and take a multiple choice test. The intro could describe towing lingo like GVWR, Axle ratings, GCWR, tongue weight, and weight distribution hitches. It could also includes suggestions on how to go up/down grades (not riding the brakes, using transmission to downshift, or using tow/haul mode or exhaust brake), tire pressure, and importance of having the trailer level. The problem with regulations is that sometimes the initial motivation is forgotten an the regulation goes awry! Hence,, I am cautiously in favor of this idea :)
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

I would agree to that requirement. Might even consider being a certified (certifiable??? 😀) instructor.

I have thought many times of offering to assist new RV owners learn how to manage their rigs. I think it would be a huge benefit to a prospective buyer to offer to “consult” on a trip to a dealer. That would be fun!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Tarnished

Post by Tarnished »

Maybe the dealers should be offering a short course. Something to give a newbie some real confidence as opposed to the 'don't worry honey this is easy'.
Worst I've seen was a 32 footer being hooked up to a suburban with a WD hitch. Once hooked up, the trailer and vehicle severely down at the hitch the owner then blew up his balloons and went merrily on his way. Yikes.
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

I don’t have that much confidence in a dealer, I guess. Is it too much of a generalization to say they are more interested in the sale than getting their customer down the road safely?
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Salty

Post by Salty »

While all good points, I am firmly against additional regulation. However maybe an insurance rebate for those who complete a towing/trailering class?
Possession of a CDL is not a guarantee that the driver knows how to back a trailer. Took the guy who brought mine in from VA 3 tries to get it in. He was a CDL licensed gas hauler, so..... Just my experience.
There are a number of interesting tips in the Avion owners manual regarding towing, or maybe they were just interesting to me, as a Virgin TT tower.
As for classes, who would conduct them. I would think a dealer SPONSORED event would be more likely, but I don't believed you could get a dealer to hold a class - too much liability.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

There's something more compelling and lacking than trailer safety. Read below.

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2018/06/14/ ... finds.html
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

I am soooooooooooooooooo thankful for my dad!!!! All through my growing up, he and I did a lot of stuff together, including basic and medium car maintenance. We never rebuilt an engine, but the stuff we did do gave me the confidence that I could do just about anything if I had the right tools.
Those skills are what made me comfortable with the purchase of our 1995 Ford F250 PowerStroke, AND our Avion!

I LOVE my dad, I AM my dad, we have a LOT of good memories together, and I am BLESSED to still have him around at the ripe old age of 91!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Salty

Post by Salty »

silverloaf wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:04 pm There's something more compelling and lacking than trailer safety. Read below.

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2018/06/14/ ... finds.html
I'm shocked (sarcasm)
Tried to teach my niece a little about car care. She had not the patience. As for my sons, they both participated in the third of three frame off restorations of a 1976 Chevy truck (The oldest asked when he was 6 if he could drive the truck when he was old enough. And he made me PROMISE)
The oldest now drives a restored 2001 Volvo S40 and the youngest is an ICar certified painter.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.