Turn signal/brake light

110 volt, 12 volt, Batteries, Converters and Inverters, Solar
Tarnished

Turn signal/brake light

Post by Tarnished »

The brake job went well everything fit and works.
The problem is no right turn signal and no right brake light. Everything OK at the fuse.
Run new wire? Anyone know where the original wires are run?
Any and all ideas are welcome. Got an inspection scheduled for wed.
HELP
silverloaf

Re: Turn signal/brake light

Post by silverloaf »

Tarnished wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 6:11 pm The brake job went well everything fit and works.
The problem is no right turn signal and no right brake light. Everything OK at the fuse.
Run new wire? Anyone know where the original wires are run?
Any and all ideas are welcome. Got an inspection scheduled for wed.
HELP
Tarnished,

Here is my 2-cents worth.

The brake and turn signal are usually powered by the same wire; one for each side.

Before getting into the trailer, check for power at the 7-pin connector of the tow vehicle. If OK, connect the trailer to vehicle power. Go to the rear of the trailer and work backwards. You will have to turn the power on and off for the tests.

I assume the bulb is OK. I would check for corrosion and continuity at the bulb's socket. I found mine corroded from heat and pitted/rusty from age. 1157 incandescent bulbs generate a lot of heat.

Using a voltmeter, probe the socket for power; the center post of the socket is typically positive and the shell negative (ground). If there is power, turn it off. Clean out the socket (or replace it)) and install a new bulb.

If still no power, remove the housing to expose the wires. Check the wiring to the socket for continuity. If you find power, replace the socket.

If there is no power, run a separate ground wire from a known source. Check power from the socket's positive wire to the new ground wire. If power, find a new ground connection behind the housing.

If there is no power, it's likely a wiring problem. There is a covered junction compartment under the trailer behind the a-frame. Wiring from the 7-pin harness are spliced into the trailer's exterior lighting circuit. Check there next.

That is the last connection point before things get ugly. I think the wiring runs through the wall after that.

Let me know how you make out.

Silverloaf
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Great reply by Silverloaf. Another thing to check is the 7 pin plug on the trailer--make sure the blade that powers those lights is clean. Scraping with a flat head screwdriver will do the trick.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Salty

Post by Salty »

I wish you the best Tarnished. I have a similar issue, save that mine is intermittent, which indicates a loose wire or socket. Knee jerk reaction was to order the LED light kit which I wanted anyway, this was just a semi good excuse.

WWW.TRAILERPARTS.COM

47-84-008
Bargman LED Taillight Double w/Incandescent Backup Light qty 2 $32.95 ea Subtotal $65.90
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Tarnished

Post by Tarnished »

Plug is good socket is good and have good connection at the junction box.
Looks like I'll have to run a new wire.
Thanks for the replies.
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

This is a long shot, but maybe check the 12v panel at the converter to make sure there isn't a loose wire there.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Tarnished

Post by Tarnished »

Salty, mine was intermittent also. First thing I did was change the socket, worked for a min or two
then nothing and still nothing. I've been playing with this item off and on for a couple of weeks. Will run a new wire from the fuse bar today see if it works. No reason it won't, then find a way to run the wire hidden. A real PIA getting it behind the shower and into the fixture from the inside.
Doubt if it would pass inspection if I left the wire running out the back window :D
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

The power to the exterior running lights should be pass-through from the tow vehicle. You should be able to disconnect the trailer’s battery and get power to the exterior running lights.

I would be looking at the fuse panel of the tow vehicle as part of the process. I spent 3 hours chasing a lack of power to a rear light on my utility trailer. Turned out a fuse had blown in my truck due to a short in trailer light.

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Tarnished

Post by Tarnished »

Silver, I had power inside the trailer at the fuse panel when the turn signal was on and Across the fuse.
This morning I ran a new line under the furniture on the street side over the water heater then behind the bath cabinetry. Drilled a hole through the back of the light fixture into the area behind the shower. With patience was finally able to fish the new wire into the fixture.
Voila, there be light.
Thank you all for the suggestions.
I think we'll be able to take that maiden voyage on the 4th of June.
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Have a great time!

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P