What wheels/rims to purchase.

Axles and Suspension Systems, Brakes, Brake Controllers, Wheels, Tires
quartzsitebruce

What wheels/rims to purchase.

Post by quartzsitebruce »

I just bought a 1987 34 V and I am looking to replace the wheels/rims. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I know they need to be15" 6-hole @ 5.5 centers. I especially want to make sure that the offset is correct so that I do not have any problems with wheels and or tires rubbing against the body or the frame. Thanks in advance for your help.
Proud owner of a 1987 34V, towed by a 2015 Chevy 2500HD Extra cab. Some work to "make it my own", but up for the challenges!
RISK

Re: What wheels/rims to purchase.

Post by RISK »

I’m sure Paul will chime in here soon, he has a similar rig.
I didn’t have to replace my wheels so I can’t be much help, sorry.

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

If you're going to spend money on new rims, you might consider bumping up to 16's so you can easily run LT tires. I went with these in silver...

http://www.hispecwheel.com/products/774/6-Spoke

IMG_2416.JPG
IMG_2416.JPG (63.94 KiB) Viewed 2261 times
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

RISK wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:12 am I’m sure Paul will chime in here soon, he has a similar rig.
I didn’t have to replace my wheels so I can’t be much help, sorry.

Ian
I wish I could help, but our 1987 34W still has the original aluminum rims, and I have stayed with ST tires. Came with Goodyear Marathons that made the 1000-mile trip home in 2013 just fine, even though they didn't look all that great. Currently running Commodore's (I am sure they are Chinese, but have done well), and will most likely replace them with the new Goodyear Endurance ST's when the time comes.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
quartzsitebruce

Post by quartzsitebruce »

I will be running the Goodyear Endurance tires because I've heard and read really good reviews of them. Besides they're made in the good old USA! The rims that I have right now are the original steel rims and they're just ugly, dirty and a little rusty. I definitely need to put on new tires. The two Center tires are original from 1987. By the grace of God the trailer made the 20 mile trip home. But one of the original tires is severely cracked on the sidewall. The other four tires are about two years old, but they're Chinese, and I figure I might as well start off with new tires and rims. I would consider going to 16 inch rims as long as they would fit. Safety is a priority. Thanks for everyone's input and I'm looking forward to continued use of the site.
Proud owner of a 1987 34V, towed by a 2015 Chevy 2500HD Extra cab. Some work to "make it my own", but up for the challenges!
Overdrive

Post by Overdrive »

If you’re getting the typical 15x6 trailer wheels they are all gonna be the same offset and backspacing. I may go for 16s next time but I just put new ST rated tires on th3 trailer. I’ll be sanding down the wheels and painting them.
16 inch LTs are gonna run 100/120 bucks a pop.

Unless your wheels are rusted where the actual structure of the wheel is compromised sand them down and spray paint them.
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

While the 16's in an LT are more money, keep in mind you'll be replacing them about every 7 years instead of every few years like an ST tire.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Tarnished

Post by Tarnished »

Passenger car LT and SUV tires are designed for rolling resistance (that's a simplification) while ST's are designed for easy roll. Those running LTs, have you noticed tracking differences, better?, or a decrease in mpg?
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Personally I can't tell any difference.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R