Brakes

Axles and Suspension Systems, Brakes, Brake Controllers, Wheels, Tires
Tarnished

Brakes

Post by Tarnished »

I'd like to replace my entire brake unit on each wheel. Is there any way to determine
who the supplier is?
'77 Travelcader 26
silverloaf

Re: Brakes

Post by silverloaf »

Tarnished wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 6:41 pm I'd like to replace my entire brake unit on each wheel. Is there any way to determine
who the supplier is?
'77 Travelcader 26
You might want to try Glenn Null, part of the tech support team at Dexter Axle. Glenn has a lot of experience with axles and brakes on vintage trailers. I talked with him about the brakes on our '88 30P.

Glenn's phone number is 574-295-7888.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Tarnished

Post by Tarnished »

Glenn has retired. Waiting for a reply.
Thanks Silverloaf
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Good for Glenn but bad for us.

I did a lot of research on wheel hub and brake assemblies last year. That’s how I got to know Glenn.

I replaced the hub, brake drum and bearing assys, the brake and backing plate assys and shock absorbers on our ‘88 30P. Although it has the adjust-a-ride axle and suspension system, many of the later brake and hub assys are interchangeable, even better than OEM parts of earlier usage ( like self-adjusting brakes).

Dexter parts typically have have a decal or stamped part numbers on their parts. There are also some key dimensions like drum diameter, spindle diameter/length and bolt centerlines will be useful in your search.

I have the names of parts vendors once you figure out what you need with part numbers.

If you want to get into further detail,send me a private message.

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Tarnished

Post by Tarnished »

An owner of a '76 LeGrand 28 contacted me Tues from the yahoo group. Same suspension as mine.
He used the E trailer brand parts and is very pleased with the fit and finish. He also had the correct Monroe shocks #555025 available from Amazon and everyone else. Measured my spindle to be sure and ordered all the parts earlier today.
Shocks and the entire braking system including shipping comes to $590.00. Not bad.
Now, if I could figure out why the water pump wouldn't work today when tested I'd be close to a happy camper.
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Glad everything worked out for you.

What's going on with your water pump?

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P